Author Topic: omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg  (Read 10973 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »
Ok initial thoughts:
Not too happy it requires steam, but whatever.
Still getting used to the hex grid map.
LOVE the social policies instead of governments.
Diplomacy seems kinda meh.  Which is ok since I usually don't like dealing with that.
City-states are interesting but not being a diplomacy type of player I've turned them off.
Where the fuck is the map builder?  How do you create mods for the game?  These tools should have been available day 1.
The lack of unit stacking is interesting and I look forward to trying it out more.  I like the fact that cities can defend themselves.
The method for expanding your borders is pretty cool.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 05:50:38 PM »
One thing that is really annoying me is the inability to select units via the military advisor's page.  it'll list out the units, what they are doing, etc but when you double click on it I get some random worker (when I didn't select a worker).  Makes it a real pain to find your units when you have them set to explore.

I won a military victory by capturing the capitol and didn't have to touch the other cities (I was playing against only one AI on a duo map).  Not sure if I like that.  I don't want to use the option to make me hunt down every unit but I should at least have to capture all the cities.

Oh and one thing missing:  The throne room!  Though I think that was left out in Civ 4 also but it just feels like a giant void.

Getting the city-state diplomacy down.  It really comes down to cash.  If you've got the cash then pay them off and get the benefits.  If not just ignore them.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
I think the throne room/palace was in 1 and 3 and that was it.  It definitely wasn't in 4

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »
I think there was a palace in two of them and an actual throne room in another.  But it has been so long I don't remember for sure.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Maybe - I didn't play 3 all that much and didn't play 2 at all.  1 definitely had a palace and 4 definitely had nothing

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
I alsmot bought it today...restrained myself, but I downloaded the demo...will try Sunday maybe...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 10:56:20 AM »
Played the demo...an hour of my time went like nothing.  It's amazing though....I'm so glad I don't have $50.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »
Updates
One thing that is really annoying me is the inability to select units via the military advisor's page.  it'll list out the units, what they are doing, etc but when you double click on it I get some random worker (when I didn't select a worker).  Makes it a real pain to find your units when you have them set to explore.
Haven't tried this since the patch to see if it fixed it but I did find that the info panel in the upper left (where you can switch between science, military, and cities) does work properly.

I won a military victory by capturing the capitol and didn't have to touch the other cities (I was playing against only one AI on a duo map).  Not sure if I like that.  I don't want to use the option to make me hunt down every unit but I should at least have to capture all the cities.
Ok looks like to win a military victory you just need to capture all of the capitols.  But if you want to completely eliminate a civ you do need to capture all the cities (except for the last civ since capturing their capitol ends the game).  Not sure how it works if your capitol gets captured.

Some other stuff:

City-states get votes for Diplomatic victories.  If you are allied with them then you'll get their vote.

Spaceships:  Only 6 parts needed.  However, they are expensive like units and I'm not sure if you can rush them.  One kinda cool part is that once you make the part it is a unit that you have to transport to your capitol.

Absolutely worst part of the game:  The future tech features a quote from GW.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 03:45:16 PM »
Oh, I need to give a major thumbs up to the tactical view.  Makes positioning units and checking resources a lot easier

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 09:42:23 PM »
I caved.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »
They released the SDK yesterday.  It is under the tools section.

I noticed yesterday that espionage was taken out of the game.  Kinda miss it.  It was one of my pre-war strategies for softening up the enemy.

Overall I'm enjoying the game but it doesn't seem as polished as 4 was.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »
Yea - I love the new UI and combat.  It plays slower for me so far though (things take longer to build in early game).  There are some glitches - I hate how the escape key works when you want to cancel an order....

But I love the simplifications...game play is better, needs more polish...

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 08:22:18 AM »
Can a caveman armed with a stick still destroy a tank?

I'm not sure I could live with a civ game without that wonderful 'feature'.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 10:02:10 AM »
Can a caveman armed with a stick still destroy a tank?

I'm not sure I could live with a civ game without that wonderful 'feature'.
If the tank is already injured enough probably :D  Especially if the caveman had a terrain advantage.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:03 AM »
Steam pisses me off so much.  It updated the game client (without me doing anything) and now my saved game won't load.