Author Topic: dear equipment manufacturers...  (Read 2927 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
dear equipment manufacturers...
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:11:09 PM »
For the love of all that is good and holy stop using the super bright blue leds on everything.  I have three items with them and they can light up a dark room by themselves.  One is the LED binary clock another is a light that comes on when I plug my ipod into a charging base and the last is the power indicator for my new desktop tower.  It seriously makes it hard to go to sleep.  Last night I put like 10 layers of masking tape of the light to dim it down (couldn't find my electrical tape).

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
Re: dear equipment manufacturers...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »
that's what i use (black electrical tape).

i like my bedroom to be as dark as a dungeon.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
I don't mind some minor glow (like the soft amber lights from the power squids) but I hate the ones that can cast a shadow on the far end of the room.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »
For the love of all that is good and holy stop using the super bright blue leds on everything.  I have three items with them and they can light up a dark room by themselves.  One is the LED binary clock another is a light that comes on when I plug my ipod into a charging base and the last is the power indicator for my new desktop tower.  It seriously makes it hard to go to sleep.  Last night I put like 10 layers of masking tape of the light to dim it down (couldn't find my electrical tape).

Apart from anything else, I can't focus on them, and it drives me mad (for reference, I can focus on any other colour LED at the same distance :p)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:19:48 PM »
Apart from anything else, I can't focus on them, and it drives me mad (for reference, I can focus on any other colour LED at the same distance :p)

I can't either, I thought it was just something about the way the light is emitted and it looks that way to everyone.   no?  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:45:25 PM »
I've got a lamp in my office that's annoying. This morning my Wii lit up which can almost wake me up on the other side of the house.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »
Here's an idea... move your fucking electronics out of your bedroom!  I know some situations don't allow for this, but I think your bedroom should be for 2 reasons: sleeping and fucking.  If you use it for more than that is screws up your perception of sleeping and your mind can wander to other places when you're trying to sleep.  I know I had my computer in my room for several years and I have to say I think I sleep better without the added noise and lights and shit.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »
>>fucking electronics

I have no fucking electronics. I manage quite well without thanks. ;)

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 06:37:55 PM »

I can't either, I thought it was just something about the way the light is emitted and it looks that way to everyone.   no?  :dunno:

Could be :dunno:. Still drives me mad tho'.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 07:13:36 PM »
Here's an idea... move your fucking electronics out of your bedroom!  I know some situations don't allow for this, but I think your bedroom should be for 2 reasons: sleeping and fucking.  If you use it for more than that is screws up your perception of sleeping and your mind can wander to other places when you're trying to sleep.  I know I had my computer in my room for several years and I have to say I think I sleep better without the added noise and lights and shit.
Actually the low noise probably helps me sleep better.  My mind tends to wander while I'm trying to fall asleep and it will latch onto various noises.  I'd much rather it go to a familiar sound then other random sounds that occur.  For the most part low light doesn't bother me.  The problem is that these leds are very piercing.  Even if I moved the computer to the living room area I wouldn't want it that bright out there.

And while I could move the computers out of the bedroom I am working on getting the house done up so I can rent to two other bedrooms out.  When that happens there is no way in hell I'm leaving my computers out in the open.