Author Topic: PSU suggestions?  (Read 4012 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
PSU suggestions?
« on: June 01, 2005, 08:24:13 AM »
I'm starting to get a little pissed.  When I built my new computer this past christmas, I put a fairly cheap 550W XPower PSU in it.  Not surprisingly, it burnt up in about 2 months.  So I replaced it with a Thermaltake 480W PSU that appeared to be working great...

So I go on vacation this past weekend, turning my PC off for about 4 days straight.  I came home last nite, plugged everything back in, and powered up.  It booted into Windows and was up for about 10 seconds when it just shut off for no reason whatsoever.  Many attempts after this to power it back up resulted in nothing.  The mobo lights were on, it had enough power to show the watt usage on the panel that came with the PSU, and it even spun the fans just slightly whenever I pushed the power button... but alas, it would not come back to life.  

So now I'm on my 3rd PSU in less than 6 months.  Does anyone have any good suggestions?  In the meantime, I'm using an industrial 510W PSU from work (the one that gets all the high marks in all the PC gamer mags).  I think I may end up just keeping this one and buying work a replacement.  My only beef is that it is loud (I used one before when the first PSU died).

Here's my specs if anyone is curious and can tell me why I might be burning up PSUs:

3.4 GHz P4
1GB PC3200 DDR
2 SATA 120 GB HDs
1 12x CD burner
1 6x DVD player
128mb Geforce 6600 PCIe vid card
SATA Raid card
2 x 120mm fans

Everything else is onboard (sound, network).

:mad:  :(

Exluddite

• Occaisionally redundant poster
  • Jackass III
PSU suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »
Do you have any surge protector in front of it? Are you on the same circuit as your industrial strength microwave? I'd expect a good psu to take a little fluctuation, but the problem might be on that end. I'd see what else is in front of the same breaker. I'm assuming that the computer has been in the same place through all of this. Also, I don't know if polarity is an issue, but electricians in a hurry sometimes get the wires backwards. I know it's AC, but that makes a difference on some things (hence the wider prong on some plugs).
Leave the gun. Take the canolis.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
PSU suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:41:55 AM »
I do have a surge protector on it and I think it would have tripped on a surge.  And AFAIK, the breaker is just for my office, which is only 2 computers, a printer, a light, and a clock.

If anything, I'd almost think that it's something in my system, because my old computer never had problems and I haven't had any problems with my wife's PC.

Could it be that I just got 2 bunk PSUs?  I think I'm going to contact Thermaltake to see if they'll replace the bad one.

Hillbillie

• Jackass II
PSU suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:00:31 AM »
What is the amperage on the +12v rail for the Thermaltake? The P4, like the A64, requires a strong +12v rail. Also, I believe the GeForce 6's feed off of the same rail, so look for something with at least 22A, the higher the better.

I can personally recommend the Ultra X-Connect, but that might be too pricey. A solid Antec or Enermax should be fine too, just keep in mind the +12v rail.
Reduced fat and now 100% pot free, but same great okay taste.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
PSU suggestions?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:53:40 PM »
HB, you might want to read #2 from this article: http://www.pcpowercooling.com/technology/myths/

I just read that before reading your reply.  

And looking at the specs for the thermaltake, it's showing a max load of 18A, so maybe that's what was doing it.

I think this is what I'm gonna get: http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S47ATX&view=techspecs

And this is what I'm borrowing from work in the meantime: http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=T51DX&view=techspecs

I had one of these before, but it is so loud that I swapped it out for the thermaltake.

Hillbillie

• Jackass II
PSU suggestions?
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 03:15:20 PM »
Interesting about #2, but I haven't had any problems... all voltages are well within specifications as far as I can see. It's without a doubt been the most rock solid PSU I've had to date. :p
Reduced fat and now 100% pot free, but same great okay taste.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
PSU suggestions?
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 04:08:15 PM »
HB, you might want to read #2 from this article

2. DON'T LOSE POWER WITH MODULAR PLUGS
Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why pros specify uninterrupted wire!

Maybe I'm misreading this, but don't all power supplies have modular plugs, those things that connect the ac power to the power supply? The resistance added would be negligible, i think.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
PSU suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 04:37:14 PM »
No, the PSUs like HB has, has cables that can actually disconnect from the PSU itself... so you basically only plug in the cables you need to use.  It reduces cable-clutter, but has the problems mentioned in the article (although minimal at best).