Author Topic: Joomla and Drupal  (Read 2380 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Joomla and Drupal
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »
Anyone use either of these in practice? I'm working on setting up websites for my brother and father and was pondering utilizing one of them. I've been writing their sites from scratch but it's slow going and I don't always feel like coding in my off hours much anymore. I was thinking one of these might not be bad to setup and skin and have a bunch of features they're looking for. My brother mostly. My dad's is a pretty simple couple page site. My brother want a corporate looking site with image galleries and the works.

We've worked with a couple companies that have been using Drupal and rave about it but Joomla seems to be getting a bit more press.

I'm also interested since these are both PHP apps and thus can easily be deployed on regular web hosts while us poor Java developers get relegated to needing our own servers.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Joomla and Drupal
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
I would recommend Mambo over Joomla.  To be honest a lot of that has to do with their asinine views over software licensing.  So I think Mambo will have a better if you are going to want any 3rd party add-ons.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
+1 on what mike said. I have only limited exp with any of them, but i always liked mambo
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
Drupal seems to be the most popular but I've been told it's got a decently tough learning curve.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:37:25 PM »
I think I'll try them both out this weekend and see what one seems more intuitive. My boss was asking about them recently too wondering if we might want to switch our company website over. But we're too busy with projects to worry about refacing the company website right now.

And later we'll install SMF for our customers to complain about us on.
This signature intentionally left blank.