Author Topic: f-ing printer driver  (Read 2516 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
f-ing printer driver
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
So I have a Canon MP830 and I love the thing.  When I built my new computer, I put Vista 64 bit on it and found the drivers and it works great with the printer.  My laptop is Windows XP Home 32 bit and I've been trying to connect to the printer. 

The printer is shared from my computer and when I try to connect to it, it says it doesn't have the right driver.  So I went to their site and downloaded the MP drivers and installed them and tried to add the printer again. 

It keeps saying it can't find a suitable driver.  I don't understand what the fuck I'm doing wrong or how to fix it.  I've downloaded about a half a dozen different drivers and software packages but none of them are allowing me to talk to the printer.  Is it because the printer is physically attached to a 64 bit computer?

Anything else you think I'm missing?  This is driving me insane.   :mad:

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: f-ing printer driver
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:15:44 AM »
It still baffles me why we don't have a universal printer driver yet. It's not like printer do that vastly different of activities. Maybe not to take full advantage of the printer but you should at least be able to print a word doc or something.

Doesn't the driver on your machine have to match the driver on the one it's shared from? I'd say you're on to something with the 64bit issue.

Maybe try connecting it to your machine directly just to make sure it works?
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:26:23 AM »
Man Obe.  I have heard nothing but bad news about wired and wireless shared printers.  I was looking through forums for an answer to your question, and the fixes seem to be intermittent and lack consistency.  What a nightmare.  For what it is worth, it isn't just Canon.  They all seem to have issues. 

Also the worst of it seems to be connecting differing versions of Windows.  Strangely enough Windows 7 and Vista seem to be having better luck at it.  This may be due to the distinct lack of W7 systems at this point.

The best solutions seem to all have the following in common.

1) Remove the drivers for all printers.
2) Clean the drivers out with any available tools (dunno if Canon has a specialized tool).
3) Clean the registry (CCLeaner should work).
4) Install the original CD drivers (if they exist for your OS).
5) Wireless PCs first.  Wired Windows XP PCs second, Vista and or W7 last.

If this doesn't work, it gets chaotic fast.  Download drivers, holy water, prayers, etc.

WARNING!!  Many of the poor bastards started (like you) with one functioning printer and ended up with neither functioning properly when they were done.  Lots of full reinstalls.  So be prepared.

Hope this helps!

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:30:04 AM »
It still baffles me why we don't have a universal printer driver yet. It's not like printer do that vastly different of activities. Maybe not to take full advantage of the printer but you should at least be able to print a word doc or something.

Doesn't the driver on your machine have to match the driver on the one it's shared from? I'd say you're on to something with the 64bit issue.

Maybe try connecting it to your machine directly just to make sure it works?

Printers are too complex these days.  Fewer are just printers.  Seems most of them print, scan, fax (sadly), copy, read memory, interface with cameras, display and manipulate photos, and so on.  A universal driver would, at this point, be very difficult to achieve.  Further it would have to be a living standard with serious backward compatibility baggage.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »
Thanks Knuck.  Sounds like a nightmare.  It's really not a massive deal.  It's more of an issue because my wife does all photo editing and work from the laptop.  Her current method has just been to throw the photos she wants to print into the dropbox (search the software board if you don't know what that is) and then she just prints them from upstairs.  I think I'll just make it one step easier and setup Remote Desktop Connection so you can actually print from wherever the laptop is just as easily.. the only issue I have with RDC is that it logs off the current user.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »
Sounds like a job for VNC.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »
Yeah... I was thinking that or TeamViewer.