Author Topic: Givin it a whirl  (Read 3253 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Givin it a whirl
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »
So I got my new computer up and running tonight.  Windows 8 installed pretty quickly which matches what everyone was saying.  I've been at it for about 2 hours now and I have the basics installed and configured and I'm at the point where I could pretty much work and even do some basic gaming.  My video card gets here on Thursday so I should be ready when it gets here. 

Anyways, back to the point of the thread.  I'm pretty much on board so far with Windows 8.  I got frustrated with a few things at first but I'm settling in.  The start screen is ok and I think it might be useful but I turned off most of the panels and it's going to mainly be a launching pad I think.  The funniest thing so far is that it took like 3 tries in Chrome to let me download Firefox.  HAHA!

Anyways, I'll post more as I move along but it's going good so far.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Givin it a whirl
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »
This is so much damn easier than it used to be!  Everything is in the cloud!  No copying over settings, digging through discs, finding keys (except for Windows 8 but that was obvious and easy).  Like I literally can't believe how far I got tonight.  I'm honestly floored.  And goddamn my internet connection is holding it's weight tonight.  I've probably downloaded a good... 15-20 gigs, give or take in the 2.5 hours I've been doing this.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 06:09:38 AM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
Umm... I'm not really all that concerned about it.  I think people bitch to bitch about some of the stuff in that update.  And most of it doesn't affect me in the least.  I don't want to use most of the apps they try to shove down your throat.  I don't even want to use most of the live tile stuff.  Seems like a waste of resources if you ask me.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
I got my folks a new laptop. Was setting it up today and I am really liking win8! It will be perfect for them. I know the programs they usually use (picasa, chrome, etc) and most had apps so I made them into tiles. I see them intuitively picking it up. I'm looking forward to going win 8 on my personal computer in the near future. BTW this is what I got for them:

http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-17-e017cl-Laptop-A6-5350M-Memroy/dp/B00DZYE6HQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377136069&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+17-e017cl

very basic - but plenty for what they use: email, internet, pictures and ebay. Plus it has a 17 inch screen. Got itat sams for 449.00! I can't believe how cheap computers got. I bought them a Sony Vaio running vista 5 or 6 years ago and paid more than a $1000 for it.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
I would have gotten my wife a Chrome Book if it could have run some of the other applications she uses.  I think the devices are going to get more and more simplistic and cheaper over time and it's awesome to see it happening.

By the way, I still see no issues with W8.  I'm pretty happy with it so far.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
 :nana:

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »
 :D

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 05:52:30 PM »
So I'm at a Google Apps school that really uses it now...I've been hanging out in a behavioral special ed class and they're piloting chromebooks in there - I went into it pessimistic, but after a couple of days...Yea - this is pretty cool.  For low end word processing etc in a school - so far I'm impressed.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own