Author Topic: ever owned a wrangler?  (Read 13974 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: ever owned a wrangler?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 07:11:18 AM »
I dont get using manual for a daily driver. Save that fr race cars and off road toys.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 10:42:54 AM »
If it was upto me I would always drive a manual transmission car. I have a 1.5 hour commute and then drive at work - it could at least be fun. Also, stick shift cars are typically better on gas mileage. Unfortunately my company only buys automatic cars.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »
> Unfortunately my company only buys automatic cars.

I imagine virtually every company does since there are so many people who can't drive stick properly

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
The stick vs auto MPG thing is no longer really true.  The average driver is unlikely to auto perform an automatic and a perfect shiftier is likely to only get 1-2 MPG more.

The best lesson I got on a stick was when my brother gave me his old truck.  I drove him home (about 35 miles) and then had to drive myself back.  Sink or swim :D

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 11:06:02 AM »
So where are these pictures of Jakes wife? :dunno:

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »

Brits always keep focus on the important issues.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
The stick vs auto MPG thing is no longer really true.  The average driver is unlikely to auto perform an automatic and a perfect shiftier is likely to only get 1-2 MPG more.
This.  That 'manual gets better mpg' is a myth.  The tuning in engine computers is often much smarter than even someone that properly knows how to drive a stick.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »
Yea im pretty sick of the mpg thing. But the fun, that i can see. And if u r havi g fun u def aint saving money
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »
Yeah, and if you're worried about MPG, why are you looking into a Wrangler? Of course, buying one as gas soars toward $5/gallon in CA probably isn't the smoothest move, but oh well.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »
This.  That 'manual gets better mpg' is a myth.  The tuning in engine computers is often much smarter than even someone that properly knows how to drive a stick.
This is true, but just recently, and not of all cars. The ones, like the new chryslers which have 7 speedauto trannys, yes...but there are still cars out there that have better MPG on stick than auto. When you're buying used 2+ years old that is almost certainly the case.

>>Yeah, and if you're worried about MPG, why are you looking into a Wrangler?

I'm not, just said it for the sake of argument

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »

I am ignoring this post - plus you ahve me on FB - look there silly ;)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 02:07:53 PM »
first thing from google:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2008/10/save-gas-and-money-with-a-stick-shift-10-08/overview/manual-vs-auto-ov.htm

Bottom line

A manual transmission can deliver better fuel economy and acceleration. But there can be big differences in how the shifter and clutch feel and operate, so try before you buy. The manual Focus reduces noise by lowering engine revs. But the manual transmissions in the xD and the Forester had rubbery, vague-feeling shifters, which detracted from the driving experience. We also found that the Scion's awkward driving position is aggravated by having to operate a clutch pedal.

Remember, despite a manual transmission's advantage, you can sometimes do better by buying a different model altogether. For example, at 32 mpg overall, an automatic Toyota Corolla still beats a manual 29-mpg Focus.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
The transmission isn't responsible for the mpg, the driver is. You need to pay attention constantly to getting good mpg with a manual transmission, seems like a ton of work when you can just drive the auto. Unless you constantly TRY to have good mpg in a manual, you won't (not over an auto at least).

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
Thank you Mr. Expert. If you drive like a moron in an auto tran car your MPG will go down as well.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
Not saying drive like a moron, I am talking about regular driving.