Author Topic: gun control  (Read 13139 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: gun control
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2007, 07:11:37 AM »
Yes every outlet will have some level of bias, it is human nature.  At the same time we expect that the major sources will seperate the reporting of facts and the opinions that can be drawn from them and when they grossly outside of that we get upset.
Exactly.

edit: And the reason I listed KOS and DU is that those are liberal rags, but that doesn't make them good.  Shitty political rags come in all flavors; that was the whole point of my post.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:27:29 AM by Govtcheez »

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »
Can I also point out that the study referenced telephone interviewed 34000 people in 17 countries - that's like 2000 people per country.

I'm no statistician, but that doesn't seem overly significant to me, although it's probably as good as most research.

The telephone bit would concern me too - I'd tell them anything to get rid of them.

Also aren't there like 192 +/- 2 countries in the world today?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2007, 01:20:13 PM »
Also aren't there like 192 +/- 2 countries in the world today?

According to this (http://www.entropysink.com/forums/index.php?topic=3764.0) there are.

Oh, and now seems like a perfect time to say that my best is 189 of the 192. I think today I'm gonna hit all 192. Yes, I know this is dorky and bragging, but I don't care. I think its pretty damn cool.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
ok, here's a Newsweek article on the MSNBC website.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18248547/site/newsweek/

Can we agree that all media outlets are at least a little biased?

That's not a Newsweek article, that's an opinion piece by the mayor of New York. :confused:

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »
that's an opinion piece by the mayor of New York.

Exactly.

But show me where on that page are the words "Editorial" or "Opinion." They are not there!  this is listed under NATIONAL NEWS!!!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2007, 01:44:30 PM »
But it's by the mayor of New York; it's pretty obvious he's not moonlighting as a reporter.

edit: I mean really, what sort of point are you trying to make here?  That some really stupid people might think this is the news?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:47:38 PM by Govtcheez »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »
Ehh... I'll give this one to Micah. I don't always pay attention to the author, and they really should make it more obvious.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2007, 05:00:10 PM »
Ehh... I'll give this one to Micah. I don't always pay attention to the author, and they really should make it more obvious.

the first paragraph says..
As mayor of the country's largest city, I have asked myself that question many times. In New York, we've cut murders by [...]

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2007, 07:23:51 PM »
Yeah the use of the first person is a dead giveaway also :P

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »
you guys are all missing the point.

cheez said that WND was not a reliable source because the article was biased and I am arguing that the other media outlets are also biased but in the opposite opinion. 

you don't see newsweek publishing an opinion editorial by Sandra Froman do you?

So yes, WND has an agenda and their readers know that - but Newsweek has an agenda too and sadly, its readers don't seem to understand it.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2007, 07:57:57 PM »
but Newsweek has an agenda too and sadly, its readers don't seem to understand it.

Why do you keep saying things like this? :confused:

It seems that you're a conservative, and you have a strong aversion to most things liberal. It seems to me that you have an "us versus them" mentality when it comes to political issues. That's all fine and good, whatever works for you, but not everybody else is the same way. Just because I have a more liberal viewpoint on a few issues doesn't mean that I have any problem with conservatives or that I won't take a conservative stance on another issue. I personally don't consider myself a "liberal" or a "conservative". I'm registered as a democrat, but I have no problem voting for Republicans or Republican-backed propositions.

Anyhoo, no big deal, I just wanted to point that out so that you don't have to waste time complaining about liberals and the liberal media and stuff like that when talking about arguments that I (and probably a few other people here) make. :thumbsup:

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
>  I am arguing that the other media outlets are also biased but in the opposite opinion.

I said that too.  That's why I brought up KOS and DU.  There are shitty, biased sources with agendas on both sides.  Newsweek is really not one of them.  Newsweek isn't much of a source in general but it's certainly miles better than WND, Freep, KOS, or DU