Author Topic: 2005 Chevy Equinox  (Read 13017 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: 2005 Chevy Equinox
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »
that ones actually pretty funny
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »
So when we bought the car, we transferred the registration from the car I was trading in.  Yesterday in the mail, the DMV sent us a new registration window sticker.   The stupid thing is, the DMV announced weeks ago that they were ending the window sticker program effective August 1st.

So, knowing that on August first we wouldn't need the sticker any more, why in the world would they mail us a sticker, post marked July 30th?   We received it in our mailbox on the 31st and I opened the Envelope today, August 1st. The first day that the new law says I don't need to put the sticker in my window. 

How stupid are they?  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 07:28:57 PM »
So when we bought the car, we transferred the registration from the car I was trading in.  Yesterday in the mail, the DMV sent us a new registration window sticker.   The stupid thing is, the DMV announced weeks ago that they were ending the window sticker program effective August 1st.

So, knowing that on August first we wouldn't need the sticker any more, why in the world would they mail us a sticker, post marked July 30th?   We received it in our mailbox on the 31st and I opened the Envelope today, August 1st. The first day that the new law says I don't need to put the sticker in my window. 

How stupid are they?  :dunno:
Well if the law doesn't go into effect until Aug 1 then they legally have to issue it until then.  It has nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with filling their legal obligations.  If they stopped doing even one day sooner I'm sure some asshat would find a reason to sue them.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »
I don't necessarily mean that the people who make and mail and stickers are the dumb ones - they're probably happy they still had jobs through the end of the month....

but the people who proposed and passed the law, ostensibly to save money, should have may made it a little more practical.  Perhaps they should have made the rule change go into effect immediately - or, more practically, kept the August 1 shut off date as the official day that stickers are no longer required but stop making and distributing stickers immediately - then update the rules to state that registrations beginning or renewing they stopped making stickers but before August 1 are exempt from the still-in-effect current law requiring the sticker.   would have been very simple and saved thousands of dollars in needless sticker distribution.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 03:00:19 PM »
so, 3 weeks in and this new car's a POS.   My wife's been driving it and kinda ignoring some strange noises (or not hearing them with the radio on.) I drove it a couple hundred miles this weekend and its got issues.

1) The rear wheels make a loud clunking sound when making sharp turns. I'm fairly certain (from Internet research) that its a bad inner CV joint (or joints).  Its most frequent when turning and backing out of a parking space, but persists as you put the car back in forward gear (and stops once you straightened out) but its also very pronounced just making a sharp turn at any low speed.

2) When driving on the highway, I realized just how warped the breaks are. We were in fairly heavy traffic and there were several times when I had to break quickly at highway speeds. The shaking and shimmying transferring to the steering wheel was so bad I could hardly keep the car straight.

3) this may (I'm hoping) be related to the breaks but its the one problem that's concerning me the most because I have no idea what it is: There is a strange rattling/shaking coming from somewhere.  Its intermittent but frequent.  I think it might be from the engine area but it could be the wheels or something under the car.  I'm just not sure.  Its most noticeable at lower speeds, like under 30mph, but I don't think it goes away at higher speeds, you just don't notice it because of the engine noise and rough ride from the otherwise poor suspension. 

Its a hard to explain the sound: sometimes its more of a creaking like metal being stressed; other times it more of a clinking-sound, like something is just loose and bouncing around.  Its causing a lot of vibration though, making other things in the car rattle (like items in the cup holder or glove box) - which makes it even harder to pinpoint the source. My coworker thinks it could be the breaks - even though it happens regardless of if I'm breaking or not.  Which brings me to the other thing is that's frustrating about it - I can't link it to an action that replicates the problem.  I could be accelerating, coasting, breaking, turning, going straight -- it just makes the noise.

Luckily, the state of Connecticut has a mandatory 60-day/3k-mile warranty law on used cars with a selling value over $5,000.  I called the dealership this morning and they said to bring in the car tomorrow for a road test.  I sure as hell hope they make this right or I am going to be oh-so-pissed at them.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »
That sucks micah. Headaches always suck.

1) My car has that clunking sound, almost a knocking, when turning, too. I assumed mine was the CV joints since some folks here said not to fix my CV boots once they cracked since the dirt would already be on the joints and its only a matter of time. I wonder how soon after you hear the knocking you're supposed to get it fixed? Maybe when you try to turn and your wheels fall off?

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 04:34:40 AM »
>>I called the dealership this morning and they said to bring in the car tomorrow for a road test<<

Hopefully, you'll be along for the road test - if not they may just ride around for a half-hour and say there's nothing wrong with it.

Have you looked up your state's Lemon Law?  Just in case.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »
well, the 60 day warranty is state law: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=799&q=245376

and there's a PDF you can fill out and mail in to complain if the dealership doesn't honor the warranty completely.  So hopefully they'll do the right thing so I don't have to get all legal-whoop-ass on them.

EDIT: The issue though, may be what they consider "covered."  The warranty only has to make sure the car is "mechanically operational and sound"  furthermore "This warranty may not cover normal incidental problems  as a minor oil leaks, [bold]rattles[/bold], or any cosmetic or convenience feature (e.g., paint job)."  [emphasis added.]

so I'm pretty sure they'll have to fix the thumping sound coming from the rear axle - but if they can't find the source of the "rattling" everywhere else  then I presume they're going to give me a hard time.  I might have to go pay a third party mechanic to prove there's a problem that makes the car "unsound"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:51:33 AM by micah »

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
I don't want my money back because then we won't have a car and I don't really want to go find another used shitty car in that price range.  I would obviously like them to fix this to the best of their abilities - but you're right, I presume they'll do enough of a half-ass job to shut me up for another 60 days.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 09:05:37 AM »
I'm at the dealership now (using their wi-fi).  took a road test with the service manager who confirmed that there are the problems I am reporting.  Now I'm just waiting to hear what they're gonna do about it.  It sounds like they're trying to get me a loaner car for the day just so they can "get under the hood" (so to speak) and find what's causing the problems.  At least their really friendly so far.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
Day 2. still have the loaner car.  I called today and the service guy who answered says he "heard that they ordered some parts that they should have tomorrow" but didn't have any other info in front of him. He said that he or the service manager would call me back at the end of the day with an update.

Sounds like they're hoping to make the repairs tomorrow. wonder if they'll finish tomorrow too or if this will go into Friday?  I can't wait for the call back - I'm really curious as to what they decided was wrong and what parts they ordered.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 05:17:46 PM »
ethic was close...  its the "propeller shaft" (i had to google it to confirm that is another word for drive shaft)
they're replacing that as well as the pads and rotors on the breaks which will solve 2 of the 3 problems (and they're hoping it will solve the 3rd problem as well -- the thumping with extreme turns)

but it looks like i'm in the loaner car for a few more days.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
The thumping sounds like a strut or tie rod or something

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »
It may be the cocaine stuffed in between the wheel well and the interior wall.

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 12:48:18 AM »
I hate it when that happens!
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez