Author Topic: a tragedy  (Read 2696 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
a tragedy
« on: November 11, 2019, 12:03:03 PM »
Last week, on Sunday night, a little after 1AM my cousin and his wife were woken up by their two dogs going crazy. They were barking and jumping on their bed trying to alert them. My cousin's wife woke up and smelled smoke, she went to investigate and saw their bathroom engulfed in flames. She screamed to her husband. They quickly rounded up their two kids and called 911. By the time the fire dept came by, half of the house was already on fire. It took a little under 3 hours to extinguish it.  The worst hit part of the house was the second floor bedroom that belonged to their daughter - thankfully she was over her boyfriend's house that night - if she hasn't it might have been much worse. Pictures of her bedroom are below. One of the cats did not make it out. The other crawled out of the basement a couple days ago.

So a very sad situation. So far their insurance company (allstate) has been great. They got them in a hotel and this week they are moving into a rented house. It will take about a year to rebuild - most likely the whole thing will need to be tore down. The investigator said the fire started in a electrical box in the bathroom.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: a tragedy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 04:44:03 PM »
Ugh... easily my worst fear as a homeowner.  I enjoy purging stuff because it's less to catch on fire/leak/contaminate/get destroyed.  And someone once told me that you should try to be in every part of your house at least every other day to notice if there are leaks or other issues starting so you can catch them early.  I try to live by that.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 10:49:59 PM »
Agh, so scary. Sorry for their cat, but I'm glad to hear they got out okay. They're opting to keep the house and rebuild, yeah?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:03:24 AM »
same question as jkim.
and yeah, even as a renter in a house, fire is one of my biggest fears.  And, as mentioned in other threads, my house is a trash hole so, just turning on my heat for the winter spikes my anxiety.  We have a one story house (with furnished basement) so I'm not supper worried about not being able to get out...but it didn't even have smoke detectors on the first floor. I added one in the central hall way. (the landlord did install one at the top of the basement stairs and near the furnace.) but yeah, big fear.

Thank god their daughter wan't in that room when it happened.  so scary.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 06:05:06 AM »
Fire is our worst house fear too.  That we can prevent.  In the middle of having all of our switches and outlets replaced right now.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
Agh, so scary. Sorry for their cat, but I'm glad to hear they got out okay. They're opting to keep the house and rebuild, yeah?

I don't know if they have a choice. They still have a mortgage on the house. Initially, the assessor said it will be gutted and rebuilt. But then someone else said that it will depend on what the city says...so who knows
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »
That is scary, glad everyone is ok.