Author Topic: Amazon Cloud Computing  (Read 1837 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Amazon Cloud Computing
« on: July 08, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »
Anyone use any of their services?

I'm interesting in the EC2 service maybe for development/testing environment. Are their other guys out there with similar offerings that are "better" or is this the best game in town right now?
This signature intentionally left blank.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
Re: Amazon Cloud Computing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »
i've used S3 on a couple of projects to offload customer storage and bandwidth costs from our network.  We don't really have a clean method for billing for disk usage or bandwidth for the applications we host.  Customers with large bandwidth or storage requirements for their data are now placed on S3, and we simply pass the cost onto them.

I'm a fan of it.

No experience with EC2.  I read a blog about Google App Engine competing with EC2, but when I glanced at it, it's completely different(e. g. all application code must be in python...no native code, etc)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Amazon Cloud Computing
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
They did a big thing on this in Wired like 2 months ago. I obviously havent used it, but i think they are the leader in this area right now.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?