Joe Biden (D)
3 (60%)
Jo Jorgensen (L)
2 (40%)
Howie Hawkins (G)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 03, 2020, 02:48:43 PM

Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 53786 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Election 2020
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »
Like think about it... of all the things affecting the country and the world today, you're basing a significant amount of your political choices on being upset about being told (i.e. asked) to be tolerant??

yes, I agree, that's fucked up - but it seems like I have no choice. I feel we live in a all or nothing political atmosphere. We are forced to vote for the people that represent the fringe, and with that comes the left and right extremism - why, because those sides are so vocal, and both parties want to cater to them. Whereas, I think, most of America is not that way - but they need to vote one or the other due to lack of choice.

well, I mean you have the choice to not let that kind of stuff be part of your decision making...

although if I'm being honest I should be happy if you do because if these kinds of social issues really were a big part of your decision making and you were forced to choose between a Republican party that supports racist policies and openly embraces white supremacists against a Democratic party that tells people to be more tolerant and gets mad when they aren't, I'm not sure that's much of a choice.

I don't love the Democratic party but they're head and shoulders above Republicans on this stuff. People obnoxiously telling me to be tolerant will always be preferred to people quietly asking me to be intolerant.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
People obnoxiously telling me to be tolerant will always be preferred to people quietly asking me to be intolerant.

Point taken. I have not looked at it that way.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
I just noticed someone added a poll to this thread - I wonder who else voted third party? reveal yourself.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2019, 09:59:43 PM »
Something isn't right with that poll.  Only 6 people voted but there's a hell of a lot more than 6 votes.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2019, 12:35:35 AM »
Obviously.... but why?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »
Obviously.... but why?

Because some people like more than one option, especially out of the 17 dem candidates.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2019, 02:55:57 PM »
hey Perspective, how does your experience match this? the video is ten years old

https://youtu.be/q2jijuj1ysw

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2019, 03:09:35 PM »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2019, 06:24:09 PM »
That video (watched the 2nd one) makes me laugh a little... the tone makes it sound like it's trying to emphasize the downside of Canadian Healthcare, but then it says stuff like:

53% of Canadians say they couldn't get care within 48 hours when they needed it!!!
(42% of Americans said the same)

18% of Canadians say they waited 4 months for elective surgery! 18%!!! Elective!!!

Canadians complain of long wait times!
(Some provinces have shorter waiting times than the United States.)

Canadians spend $670 per capita on retail prescription drugs!
(Americans spend $1000 per capita on retail prescription drugs.)

94% of Canadians are proud of their health care system.

Shit, if we could get all that here and also provide universal coverage and prevent people from going bankrupt due to medical bills I'd be all over it.

this type of shit irks me as well

https://reason.com/2019/11/20/democrats-overwhelmingly-vote-to-give-trumps-people-more-spying-power/

Yeah, libertarian-leaners who hate the Patriot Act have a lot to be mad at from both parties.

Maybe I'm just inferring incorrectly but I read these posts from you Jake as critiques of liberal policy positions. But they're really not at all...

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2019, 06:27:48 AM »
Bah.  Canada has a population the size of a couple of US States and they can't control their health care system.  The very first thing the US needs to STOP doing is comparing ourselves to all of these other sate sized, in population, countries.  These problems do not scale well.  Healthcare is only one of them.

We ALREADY have socialized healthcare in Medicare-Medicaid and it is a mess.  I can't even imagine forcing that on all of our health care.  I agree that there are huge issues.  Huge.  I am telling you forcing full socialized healthcare in the Sates would be a train wreck.  Another thing.  Healthcare is not a right.  It is a privilege.  Enforcing it would be illegal, and we don't even enforce the rights we have we erode them.

I don't have a solution, I doubt that there is a pat solution.  This is an issue with so many guilty parties that it boggles the mind.  Taking another 20% of my income to "fix" this is not a viable solution.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa.  Healthcare is a privilege?  Really?  We shouldn't take care of the people in our society?  People should just fend for themselves in all cases?  I do NOT agree with that at all.

Also, Medicare isn't perfect but my in-laws are quite happy with it.  I've talked to other people on it and they have no issues with it.  YMMV of course but if that's the model that would be available to the rest of it, it doesn't seem all that terrible.

I don't disagree that we're much larger than some of the countries that have this.  That doesn't mean it cannot scale well.  That's a very black and white line of thinking.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:37 AM »
Another thing.  Healthcare is not a right.  It is a privilege.

Can't say how much I disagree with this...

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2019, 11:47:34 AM »
Taking another 20% of my income to "fix" this is not a viable solution.

Honestly curious... was this meant to be hyperbole or do you think that's how much a health care overhaul would affect people's incomes?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2019, 12:21:10 PM »
Taking another 20% of my income to "fix" this is not a viable solution.

Honestly curious... was this meant to be hyperbole or do you think that's how much a health care overhaul would affect people's incomes?

for what it's worth, 2.9% of pay currently goes directly to medicare, which is used by 15% of the population.  Extrapolating that out, is pretty close to 20% if everyone was on medicare. Obviously economies of scale and other factors will heavily influence that final number; but it's not completely insane; Sweeden's top tax rate is 56.6% (for all taxes) for those with an income as low as $85k USD.  So.... yeah, that's  lot of taxes to let someone else run your life.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."