Author Topic: Interesting/favorite streaming shows right now  (Read 14627 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Interesting/favorite streaming shows right now
« on: May 26, 2019, 02:59:37 AM »
I don't want to create a new thread for each one but here are some of our favorite short run shows on random streaming services..

Fleabag - Amazon Prime
Only 6 episodes (about 25 minutes each) per season for 2 seasons, so like barely more than Endgame. We just finished it. My wife loved it. I thought it was really good, too. Written by and starring the maker of Killing Eve. Funny/quirky but also some darker/more emotional topics.

Catastrophe - Amazon Prime
I've seen 1.5 seasons, again 6 episodes per season. I think there's 4 seasons so far. The wife has't started it, not sure if she will. I'm not sure I love the characters or enjoying watching them deal with shit, but I do enjoy the honesty quite a bit and I guess it's funny. It's kind of a harsh comedy.

Please Like Me - Hulu
Through 1.5 seasons of this too (my wife will watch if I have it on but doesn't seek it out), although there are 10 episodes per season and 4 seasons so far so it's not something you could really binge in a weekend. This one is a pretty chill show. The main character is quirky and the rhythm of the show is kinda goofy/fun.

Dead to Me - Netflix
My wife started watching this and really liked it and finished the whole 10-episode season really quickly. I have seen a few of the episodes with her. Unlike the first three, this isn't a weird foreign show, it definitely feels more American. Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini and other people. This one isn't really a comedy, either.

Feel free to post anything you're watching, especially stuff that isn't 10 seasons and 25 hour long episodes a season.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 06:02:05 PM by charlie »

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Interesting/favorite streaming shows right now
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 03:21:44 AM »
Travelers - Netflix (and apparently showtime)
Started watching this 3-season show on a whim after watching Continuum (another short lived 4-season show with a similar plot/setting)  It got cancelled and aired it's last episode in 2018 so I would think it qualifies for this discussion thread. It stars that guy from Will and Grace along with a great cast of unknown Canadians who work great together.  Worth watching through.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - Amazon Prime
My wife got me into this period comedy.  Genuinely funny. Only 2 season (18 episodes) so far but getting lots of acclaim and was renewed for season 3.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 03:45:51 PM »
Dead to me is pretty good.  Only a few episodes in but I dig it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
Fleabag was addicting.  I watched season 1 and 2 almost without a break.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 12:24:13 PM »
Charlie, thanks for creating this thread - there is so much garbage out there that I appreciate a good recommendation.

Catastrophe - Amazon Prime
I've seen 1.5 seasons, again 6 episodes per season. I think there's 4 seasons so far. The wife has't started it, not sure if she will. I'm not sure I love the characters or enjoying watching them deal with shit, but I do enjoy the honesty quite a bit and I guess it's funny. It's kind of a harsh comedy.

we started watching this yesterday and it is excellent! watched 3 episodes so far
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 01:28:10 PM »
I've watched the first season of Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, it was quite entertaining. Second season has been a bit slow so we stopped. I watched two episodes of Fleabag as well, it's quirky but entertaining.

If you haven't yet, watch "Formula One: Drive to Survive" on netflix. It's really well produced, and aside from being an interesting way to learn a bit about formula one racing, it also has a fair bit of soap-opera level drama! Really good series.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 02:56:17 PM »
I've watched the first season of Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, it was quite entertaining. Second season has been a bit slow so we stopped.

The first few episodes of season 2, when they're in paris, are not that great. But then they go away for the summer to the borscht belt and, eventually, hilarity ensues.  I say give it a few more episodes.  Or maybe before season 3 come out, got back and see if it's worth getting caught up.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »
can you guys recommend a half way decent sci fi series? I'm a sucker for shows like Serenity, Defiance, and Stargate (remember that??). Today I'll check out travelers, but after reading the premise from micah's link I don't think I will love it - but who knows.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 07:18:57 AM »
Is the entire series on Amazon?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »
Travelers - Netflix (and apparently showtime)
Started watching this 3-season show on a whim after watching Continuum (another short lived 4-season show with a similar plot/setting)  It got cancelled and aired it's last episode in 2018 so I would think it qualifies for this discussion thread. It stars that guy from Will and Grace along with a great cast of unknown Canadians who work great together.  Worth watching through.

I tried this (according to netflix I tried it before) - and I couldn't get through the first 15 minutes :/

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »
HBO - True Detective Season 3

I'm not sure how many of you saw the first two seasons (the first one was amazing, the second one was so-so) - but this one is pretty great as well. The dialogue and the acting are top notch - really, the acting is superb. I don't think I've seen the lead guy in anything else, but holy shit - he is good. So is his partner. I thought that the jumping in time through over 3 decades will get tiresome, but they pulled it off pretty brilliantly.

Whoever wrote the script and the dialogue between Wayne and his wife knows exactly how relationships work (at least from my perspective) - I swear my wife and I had the same conversations, albeit in different circumstances.

I think my only critique is that the story dragged a bit - I think it could have been told with 1.5 less episodes.

Anyway, you should see it! and you don't have to see S1 or S2, as all 3 are independent of each other as stand alone stories. Although, there is a little easter egg to S1 in this one.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 10:37:52 PM »
Dude. Look at the post above you. The Expanse is phenomenal. It's on Amazon

Yes, I was looking at that - will give it a try tonight

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 01:50:57 AM »
We got HBO now that we’re about to drop Hulu live. I’ve just finished Barry seasons 1 & 2. It’s a really good show and I’ll keep watching season 3 if I can when it comes out but something feels a little off to me. Maybe just the idea of the anti-hero who they try really hard to make you want to root for but you really can’t if you’re honest about it.

Starting True Detective Season 1 now. I’ll check out s3 next.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »
>Starting True Detective Season 1 now

This is really an awesome show. I haven't seen the second two yet but the first was really well done.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 12:42:31 PM »
Dude. Look at the post above you. The Expanse is phenomenal. It's on Amazon

Yes, I was looking at that - will give it a try tonight

I saw the first 1.5 episodes and so far so good!! I think it is a viable idea about humanity's future