Author Topic: RedBox DVDs (I canceled Netflix)  (Read 4609 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: RedBox DVDs (I canceled Netflix)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 02:49:06 PM »
it seems there would be legal issues with that though - buying DVDs at consumer prices than turning around and renting them out.  :dunno:

I remember in college, there was lawsuit at neighboring Villanova and, as a CYA, our school told us we were no longer allowed to watch movies in common areas of the dorms (like in the lounge)

heck, the NFL sues churches that show the Super Bowl for free to their congregants. 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »
heck, the NFL sues churches that show the Super Bowl for free to their congregants. 

Do they really? By that principal a bar can be sued if a guy watches the games and only drinks water lol
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 03:59:24 PM »
> our school told us we were no longer allowed to watch movies in common areas of the dorms (like in the lounge)

Was that on VHS tape?  IIRC that kind of limitation applied to tapes but not discs

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »
Do they really? By that principal a bar can be sued if a guy watches the games and only drinks water lol

"The league’s long-standing policy is to ban “mass out-of-home viewing” of the Super Bowl except at sports bars and other businesses that televise sports as part of their everyday operations"
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16930260/

I never heard of there being a difference between VHS / DVD -- granted, DVD's were brand new when I was in school.

googling this, its seems a LOT of schools have similar policies:

"Any time you show a film in the Union or any other public University space (this any classroom, lounge, or common area at the University). These spaces are considered “public” spaces, and showing the movie in these areas is the equivalent to showing them in a theater."
http://www.union.ku.edu/es_moviescopyright.html
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
Yeah I could totally be wrong but I remember hearing that somewhere

jonyelton

• Jackass II
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
how much does it charge if you don't return the movie by 7:00?  That was the problem with Blockbuster, the fucking late fees.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 05:32:58 PM »
Blockbuster not only had crazy late fee's. I can't count how many time I would put a movie in the drp box and be charged because it got "lost" in the store
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 05:33:54 PM »
If you've paid late fees to blockbuster in the last (at least) 5 years, you're a moron.  You could get a moviepass and keep them out as long as you wanted for a monthly fee.  Right after I stopped working there they got rid of late fees somehow but i can't remember exactly how that worked; I remember it being sketchy.

> Blockbuster not only had crazy late fee's

It was just being charged a re-rental of the movie

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »
Blockbuster has had a no late fee policy for years now, but it certainly was a pain in the ass before.

how much does it charge if you don't return the movie by 7:00?

It's a dollar every day. So if you don't return it by 7pm (or 9pm in our area) then it will charge you another dollar every day until you return it. At some point it just stops and you've paid for the movie.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 05:48:03 PM »
They went for no late fees for awhile, if you had it out for too long like over a week they would charge you full price for the dvd, but would credit you minus like a 1 dollar restocking fee as long as you returned within a couple weeks.  Now they have some sort of deal where you can rent a movie for a dollar a day as long as you want, or 3 bucks for 5 days plus a buck each day late.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 06:47:30 PM »
Really? I guess that's new. My wife sometimes goes to Blockbuster for the selection, but I can't stand that we pay $5 even if we watch it that night.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »
They used to have a movie pass thing where it was like $15 a month and you could take movies in and out of the store whenever you wanted

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »
it seems there would be legal issues with that though - buying DVDs at consumer prices than turning around and renting them out.  :dunno:

I remember in college, there was lawsuit at neighboring Villanova and, as a CYA, our school told us we were no longer allowed to watch movies in common areas of the dorms (like in the lounge)

This is their business model.  No legal issues.  Hollywood went after them and hit a wall.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 10:50:24 PM »
Monthly pass is great if u rent enough to pay 15/mo.

I download shit, so much easier

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 10:54:14 AM »
They used to have a movie pass thing where it was like $15 a month and you could take movies in and out of the store whenever you wanted

Yeah, even the monthly pass was more than we usually wanted to pay given how rarely we actually rent a movie, but that was a good deal.