Author Topic: Snatch; Edward Scissorhands; Meet Joe Black  (Read 2965 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Snatch; Edward Scissorhands; Meet Joe Black
« on: August 22, 2005, 12:45:13 PM »
I saw all these through the past couple of weeks, so am making one thread about them all. Believe it or not I have never seen them before.

Snatch is a pretty good flick, with an awesome cast. I had to turn on the "Pikey"-only captions on because I couldn't get a single word that they were saying :) Overall it was a fun movie...a little bland if you ask me, but worth seeing.  6.4/10

ES - fucking great. I didn't even know that Burton has directed it but as soon as I saw the opening titles I could surely say it was him. Dep gives a great performance and the movie gives a nice critique of Suburbia and the darkness within it.
Will surely see it again some day 8.5/10

Meet Joe Black surely has an unexpected beginning! good performances by everybody, but Anthony Hopkins is freagin amazing...he clearly stands out above every other actor in that movie...similarly to Robert Deniro in "Meet the FOckers". The plot of the movie is imaginative and it draws the viewer in...how does one really see death? 8/10
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 01:12:14 PM »
Snatch, I never got, because well... it is hard enough to understand when you're paying attention, but even worse with a girl all up in yer nuts.

ES is great.  A classic for sure, everyone should see it.

MJB is one I own.  I thought it was fantastic the first time I saw it, and my wife knew I liked it, so she bought it for me for Christmas.  I might have to watch that again this weekend.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 04:04:52 PM »
Snatch gets easier to understand once you've seen it a couple more times.  I love that movie.

In the Pikey-subtitles, you've gotta love when even the sub writers don't even know what the hell he was saying.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 07:22:30 PM »
Snatch seemd too much of a clone of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels for me to really enjoy.

I really liked Edward Scissorhands a lot; I just thought it hilarious. I still do.

Meet Joe Black didn't work at all for me; just another 'alien-wanting-to-be-human-and falls-in-love' movie. Yawn.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:26:02 PM »
> Snatch seemd too much of a clone of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels for me to really enjoy.

Given Guy Ritchie's track record when writing other types of movies, I really think we're better off if he just keeps remaking this and LSTSB.

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 07:35:19 PM »
I don't think I've seen anything else he's done or, if I have, I don't remember but your observations/recommendations are usually very good so I won't argue with you, despite me being a cantankerous old git.

I just remembered something good about Meet Joe Black: seeing a smarmy Brad Pitt fatally biffed by a car - that was just great.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 07:43:16 PM »
That's the only part I've seen of MJB, and I've got to say that it's a 10 star movie based on that alone.

The only other movie I can think of that Ritchie's done is that Swept Away movie with Madonna, which is supposed to be totally horrible.

ahluka

• Jackass IV
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 04:10:52 PM »
My most memorable moment from Snatch (correct me if I'm thinking of another movie) is where they go to rob the store/bank and get 'trapped inside' and try to smash the door down because it won't budge... until they realise it's a pull-door.

The speech wasn't a problem for me, growning up in the London area :)

ES is an awesome film - I know that much - but I havn't watched it for years.

I only recently saw Meet Joe Black and thought it was pretty good with a good few twists.

*edit*

Oh and the little 'My gun is bigger' scene with Vinnie Jones was neat  :)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 04:13:25 PM »
Tyrone was robbed of an Oscar in that movie.  Poor Tyrone :(