Author Topic: Interesting/favorite streaming shows right now  (Read 14631 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Interesting/favorite streaming shows right now
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 12:50:27 PM »
I'm 6 episodes into Alcatraz (2012) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatraz_(TV_series)

It got canceled after a 13-episode single season but I can't imagine why - other than the fact that it was on Fox, who has a track record of canceling every promising show I like LOL

One of the main characters is the guy from Jurassic Park but like, now he's old.  The main character played by Sarah Jones who is wicked cute.

Anyway, reminds me a lot of person of interest but with a different background.  Each episode stands alone with bad-guy of the week, but there's a captivating overall mystery pseduo-sci-fi story arc. 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »
I finished all 13 episodes of Alcatraz this morning.  It ended by answering many of the story arc's big questions but, like any such serial drama, left a few questions and pretty big cliff hanger for a season 2 that never happened.  It's a shame, I really enjoyed it.  The ending isn't so horrible that it's not worth watching. I still recommend it.  It well written, well acted and production value is pretty good for TV (especially considering it was from like 6 or 7 years ago)

Not sure if it's on netflix/hulu/amazon but I watched it on cwseed.com for free (because it was recommended after I finished watching the latest episode of "The 100" which is now in it's 6th season)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 12:08:50 PM »
I just finished binge watching Time After Time.  It was only 12 episodes. Apparently it got pulled off the air after 5 episodes but they did produce a full half-season and that 12th episode, though it has a cliff hanger, does tie up all the loose ends from the story arc.

I mean, I guess it sucked because the review say so and it got canceled super early -- but honestly I really enjoyed it.   Totally worth a few nights of your time.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 07:18:52 PM »
Finished Barry and True Detective 1 & 3 and canceled HBO.

Still working through Catastrophe and Please Like Me. Please Like Me season 3 was really good. I'm trying to finish the shorter season 4 so I can cancel Hulu.

Haven't gone back to Maisel. Still might.

Occasionally put on Orange is the New Black season 2 but can't stay into it. I heard the last season was good so I might just watch that and call it a day.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »
HBO - True Detective Season 3

I don't think I've seen the lead guy in anything else, but holy shit - he is good.

I mean... he has won two Oscars already.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »
HBO - True Detective Season 3

I don't think I've seen the lead guy in anything else, but holy shit - he is good.

I mean... he has won two Oscars already.

I have not scene him before. Which season did you like better 1 or 3
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 10:31:06 PM »
Not shocked you hadn't seen him, but yeah he is pretty good.

Definitely liked season 1 better than 3. The story was more tense. The middle episodes were more interesting.

I "liked" the s3 characters better but they weren't super interesting and the main character of s3 was just a little too plodding with everything.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 06:11:37 AM »
The Good Place is a blast.  The Boys and Carnival Row are also. 

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 02:26:28 AM »
Ted Lasso - AppleTV+
I've got to put in a plug for this. Only 6 episodes in (out of 10) but I like it a lot. My favorite show since Fleabag. It's a comedy, lots of quick jokes, has a plot but not very heavy, and generally has a really good heart. Most TV I watch is about people being dicks to each other so it's nice to see something that is not that. Not worth getting AppleTV+ all by itself but if you have access to it, it's worth a try.

Succession - HBOMax
Speaking of people being dicks to each other, I've been struggling to get through season 1 of this one. I saw a bunch of people saying good things about season two so I thought I'd give it a try but I'm not sure I'm going to make it that far. It's well made just not "fun".

Umbrella Academy - Netflix
This has two seasons so far and we watched them last summer with the kids (who have since rewatched). Interesting/weird plot, some action, interesting/weird characters. It's not a superhero type show despite the fact that the characters are styled as superheroes.

Other notable stuff we've watched in the last year or so: Upload from Amazon Prime, Queen's Gambit and Dear White People (Sn 1) from Netflix, Narcos (Sn 1) from HBOMax, and Mandalorian and Wandavision from Disney+. I also finished The Americans finally and am catching up on Halt and Catch Fire season 2.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
I'm really bad at watching full shows while they're happening but I've been watching Wandavision and I'm hooked and eagerly awaiting its final few episodes.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 10:27:09 AM »
We have been waiting to start Wandavision - but I think it's time.  I keep having to avoid things that are posted online because we're not caught up.

I'm really enjoying 'The Boys' on Amazon.  We're also watching Outlander for a second time.  It's a really great show for history nerds and even if you're not.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 01:32:47 PM »
we started Umbrella Academy a while back, but lost interest a few episodes in - this week I've been binging Shameless at night - what an awesome show.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2023, 12:55:20 AM »
Andor - Disney+
Probably my favorite of the Disney+ series. Good episodes of build up followed by action/excitement. Rinse and repeat.

The Last of Us - HBO Max
Well made, interesting story. I'll probably keep watching now that the kids got me into it. About zombies but not really.

Atlanta - FX
Finishing season 4 now. Lots of different styles of episodes. Some super artsy, some playful and funny, most have something to say. I like the vibe but not must-see TV and it's taking me awhile to finish.

The White Lotus - HBO Max
We just finished seasons 1 & 2. Each season is essentially it's own separate thing. Lots of intrigue and normal-ish people showing their not great side. Not much really happens most of the time, it's just another vibe show. I mostly watched over my wife's shoulder but by the end of the second season I had to sit down and actually watch with her so I guess that means I was interested.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2023, 12:03:12 PM »
I need to watch Andor - we stopped watching some of the Star Wars stuff in general for a while but I've got the itch.  We've been talking about getting HBO just to watch TLOU.  I've heard really great things.  Never heard of Atlanta.  We started White Lotus and if we get HBO again I will probably finish it.  The wife got bored.

We recently started watching Shameless.  11 seasons on Netflix.  Definitely lots of gratuitous nudity and adult themes but very gritty and a lot of twists and sort of 'hard life' kind of things in there.  We're 3 seasons in and it's really good.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2023, 10:10:37 PM »
TLOU - Watching this at well and so far so great. I never played the game and really had no idea what it will be about - but holy cow, this is good. Acting is pretty outstanding from the two leads.

Shameless - started out good, but the latter seasons suck. I never saw the last season. Spoiler alert - everyone becomes gay :p

Manifest - just finished what is available on netflix. Started out super good - exactly what I needed at the time, but this last season, meh. But I keep watching to see how it ends

I'm looking for another show. I only watch while on the treadmill. And today I finished both the last episode of TLOU and Manifest. Tomorrow I am out of luck! Can anyone recommend a good sci fi show?