Author Topic: Kindle Users  (Read 8321 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Kindle Users
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »
No.

I looked into it and they just aren't designed for them.  The surface is designed to reduce eye fatigue.  Protectors add eye fatigue.  Live without one.  Trim your claws.

Also they are exceptionally durable.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:39 PM »
I got the non touch model so the screen wont get touched reguarly. Im worried about my pocket, maybe i will get a cover. See how it goes for a while.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »
I think this is mine...

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Cover-Amazon-Kindle-Touch/dp/B005PCOKEK

Mom ended up with Govs non-touch unit.  Liked the buttons.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »
I went with the non touch for budget reasons. Besides i only want to read books on it so doesn't need to be fancy and I don't want finger smudges.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 12:39:40 AM »
The wait is like murder. I have a few books i'm dying to read on there and I keep going through the reviews lol

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 01:34:45 AM »
I went with the non touch for budget reasons. Besides i only want to read books on it so doesn't need to be fancy and I don't want finger smudges.

I ordered what you ordered.  They sent a touch.  SO...

That said.  Glad it went that way.  Like it.  Smudging isn't really an issue.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:52:16 AM »
If a touch arrived i wouldnt yell about it lol

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »
God it has said "Out for delivery" since 6AM when I woke up and checked it. They normally come by now. IT'S KILLING ME

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
I'm in love. It's bigger then I expected, even with a six inch screen I thought it would be a little smaller. It's a plus for me as I can easily read on it without my glasses. Two things I notice right off:

1) I see why people complain that it has no built in reading light. If you want to read it on an overcast day or in a bedroom with low light it's going to strain your eyes. That said it doesn't take much light to make it readable and the display is very very good.

2) The side buttons are a bit awkward. They are literally on the side, but activated as if they were right next to the screen. This makes it hard to use the Kindle with one hand, and they are not always responsive. Every ten pages or so I will skip a page because the button does not give me the expected feedback and the page turns can be sort of slow occasionally. The two seem to coincide.

Let's add two more. The keyboard on this one has a separate tab on it for uppercase letters, which makes typing on it cumbersome. I realize it is a base model, but they should have given us a shift key instead of another tab.

Lastly the one I ordered is the "Kindle 6inch with Special Offers". This is misleading, i thought i was getting extra stuff but what i get is built in advertising. I can remove it with a hack (I won't) but it is annoying, sort of.

I love it though. Going to get another one for the kid at Christmas.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »
Reading a book under low light blows just as much.

Advertising is actually useful on occasion.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I won't remove the ads because when I looked into it (surprised nothing extra was with it) I saw what they mean by special features and that to buy it without them was almost $30 more. I'm thankful for the nice price tag so they can stay.

How do they make the kindle version of the books? I ask because I am 75% through the first Hunger Games and I have noticed countless spelling errors, words that do not belong, punctuation errors, etc and I'm convinced there is no way in hell the print version of her book has all of these.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 06:00:59 AM »
Good question.  I have had a couple of books that were so poorly converted that they were unreadable.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »
Google spit out a bunch of forums and yahoo answers saying it is most likely because authors scan their own books, but what sense does that make? A scanner cannot impart spelling errors lol.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »
It can if no one proofs the OCR (optical character recognition)....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:10 AM »
Hmm that is a good point. Hunger Games is not too bad in that it typically does not disrupt or slow the reading. Some users report difficult books due to the errors.

I will say reading a book with the kindle is really convenient. It is lighter than every book I own, thin and easy to carry, and possibly the most appealing to me is no need to save my place unless I change books. I don't need to move a bookmark or find my place I just set it down and when i come back i'm right there.

I was concerned my eyes would tire, arms or hands would fatigue, and that overall it would be more effort to read then the traditional fashion and what I have found is the opposite.