Author Topic: Wireless and wired cards refuse to work together  (Read 2766 times)

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
Wireless and wired cards refuse to work together
« on: December 17, 2008, 05:46:31 PM »
A couple days ago, I managed to get my Xbox 360 working with my laptop as the wireless adapter by using shared internet connection/network bridge. But then I restarted my computer and it stopped working!

Honestly, I don't completely understand windows connection sharing or network bridges. I just screwed around with it for awhile, and it worked when I had my wireless shared and my wired adapter in a network bridge. Now, however, whenever I enable both cards it automatically "connects" with my wired and disables wireless, which doesn't even make sense since the xbox should be connected through the ethernet, not the otherway around.

The other weird thing is that sometimes the option to use connection sharing disappears altogether for no apparent reason  :dunno:

Anyone know anything about this? Maybe I should see if I have my external drive with Ubuntu but I don't know anything about sharing connections with Ubuntu and that seems like it might be harder since it's already a pain to do anything wireless in Linux with my Broadcom card...

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Wireless and wired cards refuse to work together
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 05:59:25 PM »
Your post is kind of confusing. I assume you have a wireless router or a modem with wireless built in.

In that case run the ethernet to the xbox on its own cable or use a wireless adapter and configure the xbox for wireless just like you would a laptop. Then use wireless or a seperate cat5 cable for the computer.

As for having both enabled and windows disabling wireless when ethernet is plugged in that's standard.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 06:50:11 PM »
Your post is kind of confusing. I assume you have a wireless router or a modem with wireless built in.

In that case run the ethernet to the xbox on its own cable or use a wireless adapter and configure the xbox for wireless just like you would a laptop. Then use wireless or a seperate cat5 cable for the computer.

As for having both enabled and windows disabling wireless when ethernet is plugged in that's standard.
1) I don't have enough cable and I don't want to move a TV into the room with the router
2) I have an original Xbox adapter, but it doesn't support WPA and I don't want to bother changing the router settings (along with every device that connects to it).

I want to use my laptop in place of the wireless adapter, and it worked fine for 3 days! It's just a temporary solution until I go back to school. I can go without Xbox for a little while, but it bothers me that it worked, and now I can't figure out why it isn't working.

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »
Ok, a little more info:

I checked the wireless device settings, and among other things is has a "Disable upon wired connect" option, but it has been disabled the whole time. If I turn it on, I get a little box that says my wireless is disabled when I plug in the ethernet, but that's the only difference. So something else is causing the radio to be disabled (I've tried changing several other settings for my wireless card like power saving and they haven't helped)

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »
On a lot of windows pc's the radio turns off when the nic is active regardless of what you want it to do.

As for the xbox connection it should work until you reboot. Windows networking is notorious for dumping gateways, shared connections etc on reboot.

So take five minutes and change to wpa and save yourself the headache or keep arguing with it till next semester
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 09:55:47 PM »
Well I used some voodoo and it's working again.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:13:15 PM »
Voodoo keeps windows running :D just don't reboot

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:03:13 AM »
Yeah, apparently when I was checking all the reasons the wireless card might get disabled, I accidentally changed my power saving settings so my laptop would go into standby after 15 minutes (on outlet power)  :wall:

Luckily it still works :D