Author Topic: Wireless PCIe card  (Read 2507 times)

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
Wireless PCIe card
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
I bought an ASUS wireless card for my computer (PCE-N13 to be specific) and it seemed to work fine at first at my parents house (with sporadic interruptions that I thought were due to their connection), but when I moved (less than a week after I bought it) it stopped working altogether. Since ASUS for some reason does not have a utility that supports windows 7, I had to find a utility from the author of the driver--a company called RALink--and it shows that something like 90% of packets are received with a CRC error.

That by itself would make me think the signal is just too weak or there is interference, but my laptop and cell phone both have no problems in exactly the same location. I actually sent the wireless card back thinking it was defective, but the new one I got has the same issue. I contacted ASUS support by email and they just suggested reinstalling the drivers without any antivirus or firewall, and trying the card in a different PC. Since I don't have another PC, can anyone think of a reason the wireless card might not work due to the PC itself? Or is it the card just a POS? Keep in mind I've tried a couple different PCIe slots and the other slots seem to be working fine for other cards I have on the PC.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Wireless PCIe card
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:45:53 AM »
I know when I went W7, I had to replace our wireless USB adapter.  Just didn't work. 

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »
Well it says "Windows 7 Support" on the box...

Maybe I'll try installing linux and see if it works there--at least then I can find out if it's not a hardware issue

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:46:54 PM »
Let us know.  The damned things can really be troublesome.

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
Well I got Ubuntu installed and it seems to work just fine so far. I'll wait to pass final judgment until I've spent a bit more time online, but it looks like a software issue.

The only problem is it also appears that ASUS doesn't have linux drivers for any of its products, including my graphics card. I didn't really think about using linux when I built this PC or I probably would have gone with entirely different hardware. I'm doubly screwed because Windows won't accept my activation key, possibly because I've used it on my laptop (but I thought it was good for two machines...) and it's also a 32 bit version so I can't use all of my RAM! I'd probably be happy using linux and either dual booting or using wine to play starcraft, but not at a crappy screen resolution! </rant>

I thought ASUS had a good reputation so I'm really surprised by all this...and thinking I'll never buy an ASUS product again.