Author Topic: Article on browser CPU resources...  (Read 24066 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Article on browser CPU resources...
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:28:31 AM »
I thought this was interesting.  I didn't expect the CPU usages the author encountered.  Do those of you who author websites concur?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/09/03/review.chrome.ap/index.html

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Article on browser CPU resources...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »
Yeah, I really dislike flash in websites.

And 40-50 tabs? I don't even run that many apps during the course of my day I don't think. Guess I'm more of a minimalist, I don't see the problem in starting up and shutting down firefox's all day long. I hate having too many windows open at the same time. It bothers me for some strange reason. And as long as the apps I use remember where I was when I left, it's really no big deal to me.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »
From the sounds of it the guy is a moron using stats he doesn't understand.  Plus, who the fuck needs 40 to 50 pages open at one time (exception:  pr0n surfing).

And here is an easy solution to flash hogging resources:  Stop going to youtube.  Seriously probably less then 1% of the pages I visit have flash embedded in them.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »
From the sounds of it the guy is a moron using stats he doesn't understand.  Plus, who the fuck needs 40 to 50 pages open at one time (exception:  pr0n surfing).

And here is an easy solution to flash hogging resources:  Stop going to youtube.  Seriously probably less then 1% of the pages I visit have flash embedded in them.

DING DING DING!!
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
I have never had 40+ pages/tabs up in any browser.  I just can't imagine the need.   :dunno:

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »
I just loaded up 30 odd pages with 10 of them from YouTube using FF3.0 and Ubuntu 8.04 on a 2Ghz Dell laptop

Firefox was sluggish, but hell, it's streaming 10 links of video feed. Didnt crash and the "top" command showed it using between 75-85% CPU - not suprising and I doubt IE could do better

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:38:03 AM »
Yeah, 75% while trying to open that many sounds perfectly reasonable.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 12:32:48 PM »
if i get over 10 tabs i feel claustrophobic
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »
I think the guy is an idiot.  No normal user browses with that many browser windows opened to that many tabs.  And while I agree that flash is a flaming turd on the web community, it has its uses.

And the guy flip-flopped from being an FF fan to a Chrome fan so many times in the same article that if you didn't read the conclusion, you wouldn't know what the fuck he was trying to say.  Nevermind the fact that the article started out as IE vs Chrome and ended in FF vs Chrome.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
And the guy flip-flopped from being an FF fan to a Chrome fan so many times in the same article that if you didn't read the conclusion, you wouldn't know what the fuck he was trying to say.  Nevermind the fact that the article started out as IE vs Chrome and ended in FF vs Chrome.

...only to conclude at the end that you should just try IE8.  :rolleyes:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 12:57:26 PM »
imagine the amount of hate mail hes gotten

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 01:08:53 PM »
I'm sure it isn't enough

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »
yea but we are all way too lazy

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »
I agree. 40-50 tabs? That's crazy. And I've never noticed that kind of slowdown in firefox or any web browser.

>I just loaded up 30 odd pages with 10 of them from YouTube using FF3.0 and Ubuntu 8.04 on a 2Ghz Dell laptop

Off-topic: I just installed Ubuntu on my external HD and everything seems so much smoother/quicker than windows. It might just be the fact that I've had XP installed for such a long time compared to Ubuntu, but it's got to boot up/shutdown at least 10 times quicker than XP.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 03:36:01 AM »
Off-topic: I just installed Ubuntu on my external HD and everything seems so much smoother/quicker than windows. It might just be the fact that I've had XP installed for such a long time compared to Ubuntu, but it's got to boot up/shutdown at least 10 times quicker than XP.

It's all I use now. I run XP through virtualbox if I want to try something, but 99% of my time in on Ubuntu these days. I used to be very interested in Windows and Windows programming but to be honest I dont miss it these days. I do what I need to do in Python and GTK

The only bugbear is games - anything from Epic or ID will usually play native (except for UT3 which is still waiting for a long promised linux installer). Other games are ok in Wine (Half Life 2, Command & Conquer 3). Still, the games that do play are amongst my favorites, so what the hell!