Author Topic: Article on browser CPU resources...  (Read 24916 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Article on browser CPU resources...
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »
i actually have Ubuntu sitting on a cd next to me. i love vista but im looking to drop the weight and give nix another run. Just havent made the leap. Maybe tonight.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
Ubuntu still has quirks but every release keeps getting better and better. I still have some issues with my laptop's suspend/hibernate and the networking getting mucked up. I think a lot of that would be taken care of if I got a newer laptop. But I like Ubuntu much better than Windows. The only real thing keeping me from the full switch (I dual boot right now) is multi-monitor stuff, it works but not as smoothly when I unplug and go back to the laptop, and Visio. So I'd still have to run a VM with XP or something for a couple business things.

It's worth a try. When I decide to back up all my stuff on my desktop at home, I'm going to switch that over to Ubuntu. I'd say Ubuntu is a bit like Vista right now. Works great for some people with the right hardware/peripherals but others stuggle.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 10:47:56 AM »
My laptop seems to like everything. Also my Vista is 32 bit and the Ubuntu is made for my 64bit dual core so i imagine it will be 100000x faster then vista. And i dont use suspend/hibernate
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 11:12:53 AM »
I'm going to do it tonight, fuck it. Will my quicklaunch buttons work? Like my laptop has my mute, volume up down, etc i would like them to still work

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
>>Will my quicklaunch buttons work? Like my laptop has my mute, volume up down, etc i would like them to still work

Works fine on my Dell

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 11:41:59 AM »
Hmm....im doing a data dump to the desktop now (since i cant image) and tonight im going to wipe this thing clean and jump in....

Wonder if opera for nix is working better then the windows version. I hate FF so i cant use that lol.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 12:04:30 PM »
>I still have some issues with my laptop's suspend/hibernate and the networking getting mucked up.

Yeah, suspend/hibernate won't work for me...but I'm assuming that's because I'm running on an external drive. I haven't tried to get it to work yet.

I previously had Fedora installed on it, which was a major pain just to get to boot, and setting up wireless was just as bad (plus my volume control keys didn't work). Ubuntu has been so much easier so far. Still not ready to ditch XP completely though.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »
I think I might install Ubuntu on my wife's old desktop just to give it a whirl.  We'll see.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 12:35:09 PM »
I always liked slackware but it just never covered all my needs. so many people love this o/s and seem to think it does so we'll see

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 01:24:23 PM »
>I always liked slackware but it just never covered all my needs

Slackware is one of those minimalist distros. If you want something that covers all your needs you should try Fedora or Ubuntu.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
Ok so i tried to install it, didnt go so well. Chose english, then chose install. Never left that screen just spun the cd and made reading noises come from my disk drive that sounded like an old 3.5 floppy. It was scary.

Popped cd out, reseated the disk just incase, rebooted and same thing. So rebooted again and chose the check disk for errors option, same thing.

what gives? i gave it like 5-7minutes each time, those sounds make me nervous. my cdrom never does that. i never heard any cdrom do that.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »
ugh...corrupted cd?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 03:14:31 PM »
i thought so, so i just burned another one using magic iso. same thiung

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 03:17:51 PM »
Tried running it live?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »
the "test" option?