Author Topic: Article on browser CPU resources...  (Read 24931 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Article on browser CPU resources...
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2008, 12:42:37 PM »
Before you get too far, did you try the 64 bit version again using your other burning software?
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »
nah cuz im out of cd's. this one seems to be running amazingly so im good for a while.

Noted that my sister ran a windows update and the FW was on, now its off and i can see the desktop. Double clicking it never prompts for a password and shows no files, so im going to go make the desktop a full open login and see what happens
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
Firewall is off, password removed, and all the folders have it set to allow everyone (even guests) to access them. I can open the desktop's icon on Ubuntu but no files show up...
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2008, 01:21:47 PM »
got it. in true windows fashion it needed a reboot....even tho it said it didnt.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
nah cuz im out of cd's. this one seems to be running amazingly so im good for a while.

Just FYI: it's possible to install from a USB flash drive. That's what I did. Can't remember the name of the software i used, but it downloaded the Ubuntu ISO and made it bootable automatically.

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2008, 02:33:48 PM »

Just FYI: it's possible to install from a USB flash drive. That's what I did. Can't remember the name of the software i used, but it downloaded the Ubuntu ISO and made it bootable automatically.

Here's a good link for that - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

Some tutorials just have you running a live cd from the pendrive, but this one has you set it up so that any changes you make are automatically saved between reboots and any packages you install are ready when you boot . Good for fixing downed systems

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »
Good to know :)

I must say im loving this. It's been about 2 years since i played with any distro and this one makes it pretty damn easy. I almost feel like im running Windows as far as usage goes. Also i had started watching the most recent episode of ghost hunters before i went to the dark side, and i just finished watching it now and on linux the video and audio is worlds better. I am using VLC just as i was in Vista, with the exact same file but its much more crisp and clear now.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »
Sticking with the 32bit version isn't a horrible idea either (if you don't mind it). I did the 64bit on my dad's AMD I recently built him and there were a few gotchas due to the lack of full 64 bit support in some software packages (like flash, his print driver, and a couple others). I was pretty close to dropping the 64 bit but ended up finding scripts to get stuff worked out. He likes it a lot but still has questions from time to time. Once I get him off his piano tuning software (which requires Windows due to a stupid USB dongle) life should be easier. VMWare still has some issues from time to time for him.
The thing I like about Ubuntu is the 6 month releases; with each one, I keep having fewer things to complain about or that require some obscure shell script to fix.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
I may try the 64 bit version later but im already expecting enough issues with things im used to for windows without needing a nix and 64bit version lol

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
List of a few really decent apps to try:

• avant window manager - get that task manager like on MacOs with the bouncing icons
  • gimp & inkspace - very decent image image manipulators for bimaps & vector graphics
  • Code Blocks IDE - very good ide for C/C++ with auto complete.
  • komodo edit & glade - get coding in python
  • virtualbox - run windows and other linux or unix in emulation. Get the guest addons and run them full screen like they were running naturally

And that's just pretty much what I'm running now...barely scratches the surface

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2008, 03:51:45 PM »
I love GIMP :)

I'm liking Audacious

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2008, 03:55:48 PM »
Have a look at compiz fusion

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bvnQE1EAEZY

P.S. that's the avant navigator on the bottom that I talked about

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2008, 03:57:27 PM »
Not a fan. And i absolutely hate mac.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »
what are you guys using for PHP? I just bought phpDesigner so im thinking of trying that with WINE (i guess?) so i can still use it

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
also is there a way to make it so im windows in pigeon flash down on the "taskbar" like aim does in windows?

please rename this thread RoD's conversion to linux. Thnx