Author Topic: Linux/Virutal Drive question  (Read 6969 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Linux/Virutal Drive question
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
ok heres the deal. my dog ate my game disk, so i downloaded the game via torrent. The release comes with the game in two images, one is a .isz and one is a .mds.

In windows you would load these in ultraiso, deamon tools, or winmount and it would combine them and run the installer like you had mounted an iso. isz is basically a "zip" style iso.

These files are located on the hard drive. I need to emulate them, like a virtual drive, but in linux i have no idea how. and Google is making me think it will never work because it doesnt seem nix supports .isz.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 11:37:59 AM »
Right....

Looking at .isz files, there's nothing that jumps out and says there's a linux alternative. Could be proprietary, so you need licenced programs to open it. One alternative is to boot up windows and run WinMount to get access to the files, then drag them out and resave them as a proper ISO file.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 11:42:10 AM »
that requires installing windows....ugh.

i need someone with a windows box and enough smarts to combine them into an iso
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 03:28:07 PM »
OK so i pirated ultraiso (im desp), got it running under wine, used that to open the isz and its converting to a iso and we will see if i can install from this iso when its done. Going to just mount it via terminal and hope its a complete image

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
UGH. Theres multiple mounts of the cdrom drive and none of them will dismount. i had the ubuntu cd in the drive earlier to find the device, and now anytime i open the .isz to make it an iso it shows its the ubuntu cd. and its not.

god dammit how do i make the computer forget all the mounts/etc. like the drive is empty and it still shows the ubuntu cd dir. wtf man.....weird

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »
umount /dev/cdrom

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »
thats what i was using. it needed a reboot i just forgot to post an update. im back to messing with it now...

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 06:38:18 PM »
Now that all the volumes are right i tried to open the isz in ultraiso and it just locks the computer everytime. Seems that even thru wine i just cant mount or extract an isz in linux. and theres no iso torrents. fuck me i do not want to install windows just to get access to files to install a game.

leas tnow i understand it. in Deamon tools you mount the mds and it gets its data from the .isz which is the iso archived. gay ass fucking shit why cant they just use an is fucking o

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 01:56:16 AM »
Now that all the volumes are right i tried to open the isz in ultraiso and it just locks the computer everytime. Seems that even thru wine i just cant mount or extract an isz in linux. and theres no iso torrents. fuck me i do not want to install windows just to get access to files to install a game.

leas tnow i understand it. in Deamon tools you mount the mds and it gets its data from the .isz which is the iso archived. gay ass fucking shit why cant they just use an is fucking o

Load windows in emulation like I did - http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/run-windows-xp-ubuntu-virtualbox

Then you can run XP when you need it. It doesn't do too well if you need XP to access hardware, but its fine for software stuff

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:18 AM »
Hmm that could work. I'll check it out today.

thnx