Author Topic: perambulator  (Read 13127 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
perambulator
« on: May 23, 2005, 07:23:27 AM »
Two hearts bang against each other
the doldrums echo ad nauseum,
their twisted voices signal violent boredom
repressed anger climaxes into rage.

A crooked smile, this mouth full of broken teeth
the cavity so empty, fruitless though fruit born
to one who craves to be unborn -
in time to beat no more, heartless cause to cease.

Black and white, blinded by the darkness
a cradle filled with despair, a loss of no compare
for what was lost cannot be replaced with
burial of a head into industrial delusions -

Craven - yet, still incongruous and oblivious
to indications that shine into the hidden recesses,
to intentions that bring forth infantile pleasure -
rest, and from Mother's breast, drink her disease.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 09:26:40 AM by [stealthy] »

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
perambulator
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:06:34 AM »
That's dark - but it's got some very vivid imagery.

BTW, it's 'ad nauseum' not 'ad nausea', not that I'm a latin scholar; but maybe you did it that way deliberately?

I'm inclined to take what you've written literally but I think you may intend something else?
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
perambulator
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 09:39:12 AM »
>>BTW, it's 'ad nauseum' not 'ad nausea', not that I'm a latin scholar; but maybe you did it that way deliberately?<<

No, it was a typo.  Fixed.

>>I'm inclined to take what you've written literally but I think you may intend something else?<<

To be perfectly frank, I don't know what this poem is about.  And it's a little disturbing because I don't feel as though I actually wrote it - I was just the medium.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
perambulator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 09:40:43 AM »
I'm not about to top myself though, if that's what you were thinking! Life is very good for me at the moment!

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
perambulator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 09:43:35 AM »
Haha - but, no. I actually thought that one of your recent girlfriends had become -er- with child. ;)
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
perambulator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 10:04:07 AM »
:eek: I should bloody well hope not! ;)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
perambulator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 09:38:23 PM »
>>To be perfectly frank, I don't know what this poem is about. And it's a little disturbing because I don't feel as though I actually wrote it - I was just the medium.<<

There are bits and pieces of everything in this poem. Some I like, some I don't understand, and some I don't want to understand. The poem is too cryptic - but maybe it comes off that way because you don't know what it is about yourself.; which leads me to the following point: If the poet doesn't know what he is saying, how is the reader supposed to know? You could say that it is upto the reader to interpret it in her own way - sure, but there first must be some sort of intent on the poet's side.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
perambulator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 10:52:54 PM »
>>but there first must be some sort of intent on the poet's side.<<

I think that's a pretty narrow view, really.  I mean, how much art is in fact subconcious?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
perambulator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 11:03:55 PM »
>>I think that's a pretty narrow view, really. I mean, how much art is in fact subconcious?<<

heh? how is that a narrow view? Anyone could throw a couple images together and present it as poetry, and then blame the reader for not getting anything out of it.

In order for art to have meaning, in must be created with intent. There is no meaning without intent. Sure, some poems write you, and not the other way around - but still there is some sort of bases there, something created the spark: an idea, feeling, emotion, whatever.

Without meaning, the creation has no depth - it isn't art - it just is.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
perambulator
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 04:23:17 AM »
>>heh? how is that a narrow view? Anyone could throw a couple images together and present it as poetry, and then blame the reader for not getting anything out of it. <<

I know that's not an attack on me per se, but that is inflammatory nevertheless.  Yes, to blame someone for not "getting it" is the height of conceit.  However, in my view, art is as much about the intent of the creator as what the person gets from the work, whether that's a good, bad or indifferent response.  I don't hold to their being an inherent "right" or "wrong" way to view art or there being any ultimate purpose to art.

>>Without meaning, the creation has no depth - it isn't art - it just is.<<

Buddhism teaches that life has no ultimate meaning, but it is not nihilistic.  Life is still of value because it is.  And art may have no meaning, but after its conception it takes on a value, positive or negative, and in turn, ultimately will gain some meaning – even meaninglessness is meaningful.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
perambulator
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 04:30:07 AM »
And after re-reading this poem countless times, the image that runs through is that of domestic violence and an unwanted birth, perhaps an abortion (a "solution" which can seriously scar both parties).  I see it now as being about the cycle of suffering from birth to death, what we attempt to do to alleviate the suffering, and the unconscious resignation to the fact we cannot escape our actions anymore than we can stop being born and can stop dying.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
Re: perambulator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 08:25:19 AM »
Cocky little cunt wasn't I? My god, what dross!

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: perambulator
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
Cocky little cunt wasn't I? My god, what dross!

:lol: it wasn't that bad ;)