Author Topic: Novel Project Software?  (Read 4614 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Novel Project Software?
« on: March 20, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »
Anyone have any experience? I am looking at these two right now:

yWriter
Liquid Story Binder

yWriter has the benifit of being free, and reportedly works in Linux just fine through WINE. My first instinct is to just sit down and start writing, and filter/organize/etc as i go. A friend of mine has written two books, one of which i know for a fact was published, and he said that having some sort of system to help you keep perspective is important. He is not a very computer minded person, so he has no experience with software.

To the best of my knowledge none of you guys have taken on a novel, but of all the friends i have with technical backgrounds nowhere is better to check then here. I have already started writing it, but im not so far that im beyond getting into a managed setup. If nothing else this could allow me to see the flow of the project vs the desired result.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Novel Project Software?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
As an update i installed yWriter but its having .NET framework issues and inst running under linux. This is a deal breaker because im not running a virtualbox just for this. Too much overhead.

As for LSB it is running fine in Linux but its "overwhelming". It's packed so full of chaotic features that i dont know if it even does what i want.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:41:38 PM »
What about a Wiki? Seems like that might be a good way to go?
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
Wiki is such a pain in the ass. I think im going to just write it. Pat is doing the forward, the introduction and acknowledgments are already done, and im about 25% done the first chapter. I mean i have the project written out on paper, like how i want the chapters and such broke down.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »
Pat is doing the forward, the introduction and acknowledgments are already done

I guess there is no right way, but those are usually done after the book has been written....
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
I limited mine to the handful of people who influenced me directly in regards to the content of the book, so doing them now is the same as after for me. Theres no dedications to anyone for helping with the book itsself, so nothing would change after i wrote it. I did it partially for motivation. By dedicating the book to certain people i almost feel a responsibility to ensure i finish it.