Author Topic: going HD  (Read 9094 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: going HD
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 12:22:16 PM »
Not at 60Hz Benny.  Besides Panasonic has amazing plasma sets.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »
We ended up getting the Vizio I posted earlier

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1260351&navAction=push

it is $100 off through the end of the day today. I also got the blue ray player and with tax paid just over $850 - free shipping. :) I think it was one helluva deal.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2010, 01:02:23 AM »
if I had some more time I probably would. But I hardly have any time for my hobbies, and video games is near the bottom of my hobby list.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »
nice deal!  :thumbsup:

i really regret buying a 720p DLP so many years ago.  I paid over a grand (which was a great price at the time) -- and, don't get me wrong, the HD is pretty good.  But it doesn't "POP" like 1080 on LCD.  I mean, its almost not worth having a blu-ray player with my current TV as you don't even notice the difference between it and standard DVD's.  But when I go over to friends or family who have 1080 (on thiner, cheaper sets) the difference is amazing!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2010, 08:14:14 AM »
The DLPs have the advantage of looking very theater like.  LCD and overpumped plasma and CRT look cool snappy, but a professional ca expert usually dials it down a few notches.

Jake

I think the Vis will serve you well.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »
So I think I'm gonna get a tv this year too. I'm looking at this deal

42" LG, 240Hz, comes with blue ray player - $799.00.

This tv apparently can play divx off of a usb mounted storage too, I thought that's pretty cool.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 10:06:22 PM »
got the tv and bluray several days ago. It is great. Took sometime to get the picture just right. We have direct TV but not HD...probably will not make the switch unless they give us a great deal.

But the blueray is amazing! I freakin love it. Watched a few movies already...the difference is amazing (even though my wife doesn't see it :p

The player also comes with wireless connection - and that is cool too. I think I might start streaming instead of renting.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 11:41:06 PM »
It is great... We have direct TV but not HD...

Wait, what? I did a double-take on this for three reasons:

1) Watching standard definition channels on an HDTV sucks horribly in my opinion, and is worse than watching them on a regular TV. I'm surprised you'd consider it "great", especially after you've watched a few blu-ray movies.
2) I don't have DirecTV, but I thought they had "free HD". Even if there is a cost I doubt it is much.
3) Why get an HDTV if you're not going to get HD channels?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 12:07:14 AM »
It is great... We have direct TV but not HD...

Wait, what? I did a double-take on this for three reasons:

1) Watching standard definition channels on an HDTV sucks horribly in my opinion, and is worse than watching them on a regular TV. I'm surprised you'd consider it "great", especially after you've watched a few blu-ray movies.
2) I don't have DirecTV, but I thought they had "free HD". Even if there is a cost I doubt it is much.
3) Why get an HDTV if you're not going to get HD channels?

1. it is definitely not bluray quality, but there is no difference between that and our tube.
2. it is not much, only about $10 more a month, but you have to replace all the equipment and get an HD dish - that is only free when they run special deals. since we just signed up for directtv about 4months ago, there is a fat chance we'll get everything for a good deal.
3. in time we will. We got it mainly for the movies/bluray. No time to watch TV, hence an investment from point 2 above, right now, does not make sense to us.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 12:37:09 AM »
1. ok
2. ok
3. ok

:thumbsup:

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 11:36:47 AM »
ethic, can we be best friends?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
You need Planet Earth and Life on Blu Ray

I bought the blue ray "Life" (the original one with the british guy, not the oprah one). Haven't watched it yet.

In other news, I picked up the LG I linked too before. Nice TV but the speakers were defective and don't work. I returned it and picked up another one today, hopefully it runs fine.

I'm with axon on the big TV being better than an old tube, even for regular cable. The picture is bigger and our old TV had colour issues. We like watching movies too and it will be nice to hook up my laptop for some oversized gaming :)