Author Topic: TV Advice  (Read 9062 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
TV Advice
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:05 PM »
A member of my wife's PTA posted this:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/2279681870.html

It's this TV: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Grand-KDS-55A2000-55-Inch-Projection/dp/B000GZUN9M

What are anyone's thoughts?  I want to find out why she's selling it.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: TV Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:55:10 PM »
Eh, it's projection. Ours is rear projection, 1080p, 50 inch so very similar (Toshiba) and it's a nice TV but you can tell a big difference when you look at a nice flat screen
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
Ours is a Pioneer Elite rear projection.  We keep it because I haven't seen another tv that can match it yet.  In the end the only projections that really looked amazing were Hitachi Diamond and Pioneer Elite.  As things stand now with the Pioneer Kuro brand gone, the best panels are the Panasonics and somewhat less so the Samsungs.  You can get a mid-fi model in the 50+" range for very little cash these days from a number of manufacturers.  Oh and BTW the plasmas have now surpassed the LCD panels for overall quality though they use more power.

My advice is let it go.  Those big ass sets are really getting dated, some devices are not compatible with the older HDMI connectors and you can get a reasonable panel for a reasonable price these days that has full compatibility and a long low power life ahead of it.

Check out LG, Samsung, Visio, SOny, Panasonic, and Mistubishi.  It is not uncommon to see a Mistubishi 73" DLP for the $1000 range.  Dave Snyder just picked one up over the holidays and is very happy with it.  DLP is a fading technology but it beats the shit out of a rear projection chiropractic bill.

http://bensbargains.net/category/94/tvs-46-and-above

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:59:37 AM »
yeah, I've had my DLP TV for almost 4 years now.  Recently its started getting tiny white dots as the mirrors fail.  I've got 3 stuck white dots and one that flickers.   I can't afford (or justify) a new TV but I'd go flat or nothing at this point after seeing the difference at other homes (my parents have a 1080 LCD that is simply amazing. It makes mine look like a Tube TV playing a VHS tape without the tracking adjusted, in comparison)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »
OK, so I guess I'll pass for now.  I kind of figured that was the case and if I'm going to drop some coin on a new TV, I want it to be worth it in the long run and spending $100 every few years for a new bulb doesn't make much sense to me.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »
If you're a gamer don't buy a plasma
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »
yeah, I've had my DLP TV for almost 4 years now.  Recently its started getting tiny white dots as the mirrors fail.  I've got 3 stuck white dots and one that flickers.   I can't afford (or justify) a new TV but I'd go flat or nothing at this point after seeing the difference at other homes (my parents have a 1080 LCD that is simply amazing. It makes mine look like a Tube TV playing a VHS tape without the tracking adjusted, in comparison)

LOL, "3 stuck white dots"

less than 5 months later and my TV looks like this now, about 600 "dots"
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »
Jesus

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
Holy shit dude.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:54 AM »
I had that happen with my Samsung and it turns out it was a defective chip. They sent out a repair guy to put a new one in at no cost. Apparently it took them a while to fess up to it though and had it happened a month or so earlier for me I would have been out the repair cost. That's actually what prompted me to get a new LCD. Once I did the research though and found they would fix it, I ended up giving the DLP to my dad.

Oh and my TV was out of "warranty".
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
The thread from about a year ago:
http://www.entropysink.com/forums/index.php?topic=9713

Call Samsung and see if you're covered. You should be.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
The thread from about a year ago:
http://www.entropysink.com/forums/index.php?topic=9713

Call Samsung and see if you're covered. You should be.

really? sweet!
do you have info, like what number you called for service? I suppose I could google it. I don't think I have any original paper work.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
I can try and find it again. It was somewhere on the Samsung website. I think I found the link on the avsforum.com website. There were a ton of other people with the problem. I didn't have to have any paperwork, just the model and serial number.

I'd just call 1-800-SAMSUNG and explain the problem. They're probably aware of it still. I believe it was the DMD that need to be replaced.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
cool! i'll try that tonight if i have some free time

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »
I bought a new TV.  just ordered it online:

I double checked all the threads on here and made sure I got LCD over LED and 120Hz over 60Hz.  1080p was a given :)

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E470VA-47-inch-Class-HDTV/dp/B003WE9WV4