Author Topic: MagicJack  (Read 8221 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
MagicJack
« on: November 01, 2011, 08:29:15 PM »
So I finally am in the process of making the switch.  I got the MagicJack a few days ago and I've tried it out and the quality is equal to or better than Vonage.  My only issue now is that they need to be able to transfer my Vonage number.  It seems like it is going to work.  They had Vonage as one of the carriers you could transfer from and I paid $10 to have my number transferred so hopefully it goes through.  I paid $40 for the whole thing which lasts me a year and includes the device.  Future years will be $20 but you can buy a package of 5 years for $70, which might be worth it when I go to renew again.

I'm currently paying $27 and change / month for Vonage so this is going to save us a TON!

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Re: MagicJack
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
I love my MagicJack.

I upgraded to the 5 year plan last year when I was in Kuwait and I'm gonna keep it when I go back to the states.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
Is it just me, or is their website really fucking horribly designed?  And holy shit do they try to sell the crap out of everything!

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »
I dread having to go to their website for anything.  Thankfully, I've only had to go there twice; Once, when I registered and again when I extended to 5 years.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »
Yeah, that's true.  The other thing I hate is having to leave the app open on my computer.  With Vonage I had the dedicated hardware setup to do it.  Oh well, no big deal.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
I have mine set up on a netbook that sits upstairs and I have a separate charger for my cordless phone downstairs so my main computer is never bothered.

The only thing the netbook does is server as my "MagicJack Server" - I just restart the computer once a week and that's it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
I guess I could turn on my old computer and use that but I'm sure I can spare a few CPU cycles.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »
Woohoo!  My vonage number is transferred!  I'm on hold with them now to cancel my service.  This rocks!

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:22 PM »
So it relies on a pc to function? Eh I think I will stick with vonage.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 12:28:08 AM »
They have a newer one that doesn't.  So you'd rather pay... $20 or more (I was paying $27) per month vs. $20/year just because you don't want to leave your computer running?  Even when it's not running, it emails you a wav file of any voicemails.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:40:51 AM »
Hmm. If they offer a self containing unit like vonage it's worth looking into
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 06:28:50 AM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 08:50:51 AM »
Obes where would something like this fit?

http://www.amazon.com/Ooma-Telo-Free-Phone-Service/dp/B002O3W4LE

Not sure why you would go with that.  If you do the 5 year package with MagicJack, you'd have to have that device for more than a decade to see any kind of savings.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 08:51:26 AM »
Hmm. If they offer a self containing unit like vonage it's worth looking into
http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v04/

By the way, I called Vonage last night to say I wanted to close my account and they immediately offered me 9.99/month indefinitely.  So if you want to keep Vonage and save a few bucks, that might be something to try.  But you'd still be paying more.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
I forget... why is this necessary at all? Why not just a google voice number and a cell phone?