Author Topic: Over-the-air HD  (Read 9286 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Over-the-air HD
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
saw that.  wish I had more than $10.46 in the bank or I'd buy it  :(

I feel your pain.
I don't get you, Steve.  One day you say you're set and the next you complain about money.  Which is it?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 02:26:37 PM »
CNC machines don't buy themselves

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
saw that.  wish I had more than $10.46 in the bank or I'd buy it  :(

I feel your pain.
I don't get you, Steve.  One day you say you're set and the next you complain about money.  Which is it?

Our savings is comfortable, but we don't touch it. The bills are paid from my comp and her income, but it barely makes it. So we operate with generally less than $25 in our bank account. If god forbid we had to use the savings we could, but we are trying to be smart. Being smart is stressful.

This coming check I have will be fairly large because they fixed their accounting screw ups. I was planning to use it for the CNC machine but lately i have been feeling guilty that it should go into the savings.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
Somewhere I saw a roku deal that included 6 months of Hulu plus recently...anyone else see?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
Just got an email about it. $90 for roku HD and 6 mo hulu. http://www.roku.com/huludeal

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
That link says $80.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 06:06:36 PM »
+ $10 to jkim as a finders fee.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »
Now I'm really considering doing this, too.

So how should I do it? I really really like the DVR. Plus, I want to be able to watch ESPN. Should I just get a TiVo? Can I even do that without a cable/satellite subscription?

I still have 12 more months on my DirecTV commitment, though. Never mind. I'll ask again next summer.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
Tivo requires a tv service still.

I have a Directv dish (i cancelled it tho) running to a Viewsat HD box which is configured with our Tivo as a DVR. The viewsat box provides the service. We also have a netbook hooked in the loop that I VNC too, and for the most part we watch TV online streamed through that. If there is something we cannot stream or don't want to wait for I get the actual Dish Network programming through the Viewsat.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
>We also have a netbook hooked in the loop [...], and for the most part we watch TV online streamed through that.

This is what we do too (although we don't have a dedicated machine for it, we just plug in one of our laptops when we want to watch TV).

I was really surprised when I started doing this, there is so much content online for free.*  I've even been streaming playoff games in HD (from cbc, that probably only works in Canada). We also signed up for Netflix ($8 per month) and use the hell out of that. We're currently watching through Arrested Development and Breaking Bad. We watch a lot of movies too.

Also the Boxee software has a free desktop client, but it's a little annoying since it's designed to work with a remote and you don't always have a proper mouse.

* Where free is quantified over the ridiculous cost of high-speed internet plans.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »
I have had Netflix for a while through the Wii. We don't use it as much as we used too with her working third shift.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 08:59:58 AM »
So how should I do it? I really really like the DVR. Plus, I want to be able to watch ESPN. Should I just get a TiVo? Can I even do that without a cable/satellite subscription?
You can get the Tivo without satellite or cable.  So if you wanted to just use Hulu/Netflix/amazon/other web content, it would totally work for that.  You would not have to buy the subscription if you did that (the subscription basically just gives you access to the upcoming show schedules and stuff).

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »
Ahh, that would be great. Except I would want to record from my over-the-air antenna, and be able to schedule shows to record and whatnot.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2012, 10:25:27 AM »
you could get a VCR :)

actually, I bought a CD-RW device like 6 or 7 years ago (before DVR was available with my cable) and it works just like a VCR.  The only problem is that it doesn't have a digital tuner and doesn't work with my cable companies stupid encrypted signal so its basically worthless for recording TV. 

Maybe newer models have better tuners that you could just plug an antenna into?  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »
I'm kind of a DVR snob and would require a device with great responsiveness or it would end up through a window. :)