Author Topic: Building a laser cutter  (Read 9212 times)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: Building a laser cutter
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »
You going to run emc on linux?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 01:38:35 AM »
You going to run emc on linux?

I'm really not sure. When it comes to the software I have zero clue about any of it. Since it will be a "shop" desktop I really don't care what OS it runs, but Linux would be considerably faster on the old hardware. I'm actually amout to download emc just to take a peek at it.

I am SUPER excited about this.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »
You may want to look at downloading draftsight as well. Free CAD package that runs on linux.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 01:55:43 AM »
You may want to look at downloading draftsight as well. Free CAD package that runs on linux.

Sweet. Looking at Emc2 it is more involved in the kernel and OS then I thought, and it is made for Ubuntu. So I will toy with it in a day or two after I throw ubuntu on the shop computer. Im downloading the pre-packaged UbuntuEMC iso now. Seems to be the smartest way to run it, trying to adapt it to Fedora would be pointless since Fedora is my laptop.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 03:09:52 AM »

Sweet. Looking at Emc2 it is more involved in the kernel and OS then I thought, and it is made for Ubuntu. So I will toy with it in a day or two after I throw ubuntu on the shop computer. Im downloading the pre-packaged UbuntuEMC iso now. Seems to be the smartest way to run it, trying to adapt it to Fedora would be pointless since Fedora is my laptop.

Yeah, as I understand it the emc2/ubuntu release is tweaked for real-time performance, which is crucial to cnc. I assume your PC has a real parallel port? By the way, it runs really nicely booting off the iso.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 11:08:47 AM »
Yea I have a real parallel port now ;) I may run it off the iso, but since it will be in the shop as an actual pc (internet and cnc) I may as well just install it

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
I love that with this one I can swap out the cutter if i want to use it for say laser. God I'm pumped.

Need to start reading up on how to actually take a picture of something and tell the machine to engrave it. And how to take something physically in my hand and copy it.

oh man the endless possibilities. I'm so friggen pumped.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 01:50:51 AM »
I'm officially jealous. I want one more than ever now.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 01:53:46 AM »
I'm officially jealous. I want one more than ever now.

This kit is what really makes the reality for me. Very affordable and i don't have to think "can i really accomplish this" the entire time. I will be starting with my dremel as the cutter just for try outs and comparison. Waiting for my check so i can order it is KILLING me lol

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 01:58:12 AM »
Need to start reading up on how to actually take a picture of something and tell the machine to engrave it. And how to take something physically in my hand and copy it.

http://microcarve.microcarve.biz/

Demo (watermarked) available.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2012, 03:45:19 AM »
that is wicked for $32. I'm so glad i posted this here, you saved me months of research. Now I get to reward you by being the $450ish.00 test bunny. Right now i'm trying to unconfuse myself and figure out exactly what parts to click order on to go with the 7x7 so i have everything i need. Once i do that it just waiting for that direct deposit to hit

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2012, 05:41:13 AM »
Note. Seems like microcarve is windows only, but it also seems that it will run under wine.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »
Note. Seems like microcarve is windows only, but it also seems that it will run under wine.

I figured I would install the emc ubuntu alongside the XP already there. So when I saw that i decided to just run that on windows as intended and send the resulted output over the the linux side

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
All figured out!

1 x   3 Axis Stepper Motor Arduino Control Package   $199.98
1 x   Zen Toolworks CNC DIY KIT 7x7   $359.99
S&H $60.00

$619.97

Thats not too shabby. Wouldn't save anything really doing it myself, plus ass the aggravation and screw ups i would suffer. I would order it right now from the savings but i don't have access to it without her (she aint no dummy) and she doesn't like taking it from there cuz she says when my check gets here this week i will spend it not replenish lol
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:51:41 PM by Steve »

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
 :D