Author Topic: oh shit. help!  (Read 11203 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: oh shit. help!
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
ok, I'm back.  I had to go to bed at 2:30 because my Internet connection died last night.  No idea why.  It was just one more thing to piss me off.

This is what I was trying to post when that happened:;

Ok, so back to square one here. I gave up on the scan when it got to 6656 errors.

Is it possible that the socket that the ram chip goes into is bad?  And if so, could that cause my problems or is this a compound issue.

When I put just 1 of the new chips in the first (top) slot in the lap top and left the second (bottom) slot empty and try to boot up, I get the "Select Normal or Safe Mode" loop.  Hitting F10 on restart shows that the memory is 896MB.

So I assumed that was the bad chip of the two I bought.

Then I put the second chip in the top slot, again leaving the bottom slot empty and rebooted - this time getting into Windows (with the error message about "one of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered...")  Going to "My computer" and checking systems stats, it STILL says I only have 896MB of memory.

So, does that mean:

A)  Both of the new chips are busted, having only 896MB of memory and coinsidently, that old 256 chip in the same spot also was missing 128 of Ram?

Or

B)  The first (top) chip socket on the mother board is broken and always knocks 128MB off of whatever value RAM is in the slot - which would explain why before the supposed 512 was only showing up as 384MB

'B' seems logical as the odds of 3 chips all being short 128 seems odd - but if its the motherboard and not my new memory then why does Windows SOMETIMES load depending on which of the 1GB chips I put in?  and WHY did memtest86+ find nearly 7,000 errors with the chipset.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Right now I put the two old chips back until I figure out what I should do next.

Also, I can't seem to do a system restore.  Every date I pick, it goes through the restore process and reboots but gives me a message that "Windows can not restore to [given date]"  and that "no changes were made to your computer"

With the old memory in it boots up into windows and all her programs show up and I don't get the warning about a file in the syst registry being recovered BUT it still is having other problems - like it wants to install photoGallery (but can't) and wants to install MS Word when you're using outlook (even though word is installed).

I think some files were either corrupted when I had the new RAM in OR were deleted one of the several times that CHKDSK ran itself.  So it would be nice if I could do the system restore... but I can't
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »
I would return the ram and get new stuff anyway.

But if there is a socket error memtest is going to find errors. It works by writing and accessing the memory to its full capacity, if it cant you get errors.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »
Time to back up and start from scratch.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »
Time to back up and start from scratch.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2008, 04:44:21 PM »
yeah, i don't think that's gonna fly with the wife.

I mean, I'll make sure she's got everything backed up just in case... but a start from scratch reinstall just can't end well.  It never does (for me).

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »
hide it under the bed and pretend you don't know what
happened.

:rofl2:

You know thats just the way, too. If your (you are, you're) an IT professional you can only fuckup when fixing your wifes computer. Just as a if you were a mechanic a routine oil change would destroy her engine. It's our fate :lol:
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
hide it under the bed and pretend you don't know what
happened.

I change my mind. Definitely do that.

10/10
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 10:00:21 AM »
so to follow up, that computer is doomed.

I mentioned in another thread that I tried to reinstall windows from the factory installed partition but that didn't work. So I installed Ubuntu which seems to be working but is already showing several problems.

In the end, I ordered my wife a new Dell that should be arriving in two or three weeks, a few days before her birthday.

I know mentioned the new laptop in another thread as well, but I just wanted to complete this topic for posterity - so someday, I can reread all this and remember the good time I didn't have.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
Ouuuch!   Chu.  Ching.

:(

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2008, 04:36:44 PM »
please tell us you didn't get her the pink one because
she's a woman

no, she gets "tangerine" because orange is her favorite color.  Its the new "pink" you know.  Also, it doesn't have a vanity mirror, which I know is the first thing girls look for in buying a car - but it does have an integrated webcam which I assume can be used for the same purpose  :D

chu ching is right -- but luckily I clicked the "chat with dell" link and instant messaged a sales rep with a question I had. by the time i was done chatting with him, he managed to update my shopping cart with some deal that saved me an extra $100+ dollars.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 05:37:59 PM »
Should have asked him for a free total protection warranty, two extra batteries and a motherboard or two :p

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 08:51:52 AM »
How's this thing workin out? She hiding it from you?

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
Btw surely the missing 128mb is the shared video ram?

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »
oh that makes sense, i never thought of that.  but the screen works... so what does that mean?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 11:46:04 PM »
The 128mb of ram is allocated for the video but its not given to it, because its shared. So the video doesn't need all of it to function, it simply has the option