Author Topic: posessed compaq  (Read 4268 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
posessed compaq
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:41:35 PM »
Ok this one is funny :lol:

Got the laptop for repair. Geek squad told them the hard drive is dead. First thing I notice is the battery is no good and the clock always resets. So I changed the bios battery which fixed the time issue. The main battery is still no good, so its plugged in to the wall.

So I load it up, log into one of the user accounts. Its not admin, so I create one (gotta love xp. Not an admin but I can make one!). At this point the computer has been on 20 minutes, signed itsself onto wireless, etc. I reboot and during the xp load screen it powers off. Like u pulled the plug, instant death.

I push power and it comes right back on. Same thing. So I time it and its exactly 40 seconds into boot everytime.

So I try safemode, 20 seconds ir reboots instead of powering off. Same thing 8 times.

And loading into bios it will run forever.

So its not a heat issue. It COULD be a hard drive but since when does a hard drive cause an instant power off?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: posessed compaq
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »
Also the wall adapter is putting out constant proper voltage so its not a power pak issue
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »
Nevermind has to be the motherboard. I put in a diag cd to run a read/write test for the hdd and before it even booted from the cd it powered off. Soon as the cd drive spun up it killed.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 02:16:44 PM »
I wouldn't rule out power supply... if it gets to a certain load it might be enough to kill the PSU if it is already damaged.  My guess is that it got hit and has enough to get you to a few places and then gives up.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:39:36 PM »
I'm trying to decide if its worth opening it and volt testing the board to determine that. I won't really make any more $$ for the effort but I hate the geeks and showing them up gives me joy.

You can see a very dark black spot under the touchpad like it was heated up a lot at one point, but there's nothing key located under the pad so I dunno what happened there...

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 02:44:16 PM »
No, it's got to be the hard drive. Geek Squad said so.

:devil:
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 02:51:10 PM »
LOL

10/10

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »
Ok so I came back to it. It shut off instantly three times in a row. Pulled battery it turned on for 10 seconds. Put battery back in it loaded windows fine....been 10min...

Man I am so confuse LOL

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 05:49:16 PM »
I wouldn't rule out power supply... if it gets to a certain load it might be enough to kill the PSU if it is already damaged.  My guess is that it got hit and has enough to get you to a few places and then gives up.

Well done Grasshopper.  +1

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 05:55:48 PM »
10 points to ober, you were damn close. So its been running since my last post. I ran defrags, surfed the net, etc with no issues. So I rebooted it and it was fine. Then I bumped the desk BARELY and it shut off. After that it kept crashing on boot again everytime. So I'm thinking wtf.

So I boot it up and move the power plug a bit and it shuts off. Did this a few times and it appears and feels like that power jack connection is loose, most likely at the motherboard.

Makes sense as it explains the reboot when I hit the desk. Also thinking if its loose then the draw created by the drives, as you said, may be more then can be transferred across the connection.

Going to get my needle nose and see if the socket is moving at all by wiggling the pin. If it is I will crack her open and see if I can fix it with some solder.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 06:06:32 PM »
Lmfao

Socket isn't loose at all. Popped the battery out again just for fun and it fired right up. Move the cord and plug all around and it didn't give a shit....

Guess I will let it run a while and reboot see what it does.

It's definitly not the hard drive but I don't know what the fuck it is.

Everything seems power related but there's no consistency at all. Never seen no shit like this in my life

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:43:41 PM »
Ran till now then shut off. Came right back on and booted up fine. The voltmeter is still hooked up to the power pak and the voltage tracking shows no change, spikes, or drops. Has to be the power supply internally like ober said. Don't see how it can be anything else.

I'm done fooling with it.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »
Its been perfect for like 2 hours. Since I took out the battery I have rebooted multiple times, benchmarked it, ran disk tools, and even played some HL2 lol.

I'm telling them to leave the battery out. My conclusion is a shot out battery and faulty charging system.

NOT a fucking hard drive. Suck it geek squad.

(Way too much effort for $40)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 06:34:45 AM »
Battery short?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »
The issue sorta came back for a moment when the battery was still out after I had unplugged the computer for a few. So yes I think originally it was a battery short but its passed that now