Author Topic: Monitor Dead?  (Read 8553 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Monitor Dead?
« on: September 14, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
This morning I woke up and moved my mouse and my main monitor (Viewsonic VX922) didn't come to life.  My secondary monitor did.  I've switched monitor cables, tried different ports on the video card... nothing.  I've even tried the VGA on the monitor.

Anyone know any other tests?  If not, anyone know of deals on a decent 19" LCD monitor?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Re: Monitor Dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »
Power light on? Tried pressing the menu button (assuming it has one)?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
make sure the brightness isnt all the way down (assuming the power light is on). I had a cat turn mine down once brushing against it, made me insane.

If you need a new one keep an eye on tigerdirect.com every day, they do those blowout sales all the time. My buddy rodger got his panasonic 21 inch flatscreen for 99.99 shipped.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Power light is on and comes on when I extend the desktop to it.  Brightness is not an issue.  No menu to access on this monitor.  The power light will come on and I can tell the screen is "lit"... but still black.  Then it just says "no signal" and turns itself off.  Was working fine when I went to bed last night.. didn't come up this morning.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 12:13:42 AM »
Thats strange, but i cant see any cause other then a bad monitor (or something inside, like the logic board or whatever they call it)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 02:21:33 AM »
had the exact same problem with my acer...luckily it was still under warranty...

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 06:08:03 AM »
It is dead.  My 19" died 2 weeks after I purchased my 22".

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 07:49:17 AM »
dell has a 20" for $119

I checked there because thats where I got my 19" monitor about a year ago for a similar price.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254025&nm_mc=AFC-Bensbargains&cm_mmc=AFC-Bensbargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-24254025
Nice price... but seriously... fake wood grain?  Not really into the widescreen thing either.  Has to be low refresh rate for gaming too.

EDIT: Looking at some of them... maybe the widescreen isn't so bad... anyone game with one of these?  Most of the games I play don't have the recommended resolutions.

EDIT2: Never seen this Hanns-G brand... are they good?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:05:45 AM by ober »

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/viewsonic-doles-out-a-half-dozen-lcds-forgets-to-make-em-inter/

Variablenom the price but maybe some of their other stuff will come down...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/LG-W1952TQ-19-inch-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor-Refurbished/4120524/product.html

Looking at this one... highly rated and this is the best price (although refurbished).  Not sure if it is worth it to spend $35 more and get one that isn't refurbished or not.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »
I always worry about "refurbished" because they don't tell you WHAT they refurbished... if anything at all.

years ago I bought a frequency scanner (to listen to the campus cops) that was "refurbished."  But from day one I had problems keeping the power adapter from falling out.  If you pushed it in all the way it would stay for about 30 seconds and then slide out. I ended up having to put rubber-bands around it.

My guess is that someone returned it for this reason, the refurb people stuck a plug in it and it seem'd fine so they said, "can't duplicate the problem" and sold it as refurbished.

I've never bought anything else refurbished.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm more worried about dead pixels with a monitor.  I even chatted with one of the overstock.com support peeps and they had no clue.  If those fuckers aren't going to be helpful, don't offer the fucking option.  Ya know what I mean?

I might just get it on Amazon or Tiger Direct... whoever has cheaper shipping, unless I can find a better monitor today.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
TD will almost always give you free 2 day shipping. You can also call them and order over the phone to get it discounted or waived if it isnt offered online.

Refurbished stuff is fine. It's all about where it comes from. For example if you choose 10 companies/resellers, call them and ask their requirements for something that is refurbished to be considered good for sale, you will see what i mean. Some wont have a clue, some will bs you, and others will be specific. I know that TD and Newegg both require a product to be fully functional in order to be eligible for resale. So maybe you will get a screen with some light scratches on the plastic but there wont be any dead pixels or damage to the screen at all.