Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 5031 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« on: December 18, 2009, 04:21:43 PM »
Wow!  Awesome.  Story was more or less expected, but loved it.
 :dblthumb2:
8/10
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:53:27 AM by KnuckleBuckett »

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »
While visually awesome (I especially liked night scenes), I thought the story and dialogue was very very mediocre. The characters were very straightforward, and some of the scenes were downright awkward (which is what you get for making blue 9-foot tall cat-aliens).

That and I really wanted Sigourney Weaver to be significantly more kick-ass in this movie.

All in all, the battle scenes are really fun to watch, but it's very painful sitting in a movie for almost 3 hours waiting for the last half hour for all the action.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 02:38:26 PM »
Also..."unobtainium." Seriously?

At least a 3 hour movie makes it feel like I'm getting my dollar's worth.

edit: hey, when did the message reply boxes become re-sizable? Cool.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 04:38:17 PM »
edit: hey, when did the message reply boxes become re-sizable? Cool.

Part of SMF's 2.0 WYSIWYG editor :)

And this movie sucked. 3/10
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:19:47 AM »
8/10 - visuals were amazing - I saw it in IMAX 3D - it felt a lot like Oblivion at times hehe...very cool.  The battle scenes were also great.  Story was predictable and a bit clipped at times - they told things in a rush - which I suppose you have to do when you reach 2.7 hours, but still...all in all good movie - I wasn't bored the whole time...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 01:19:16 PM »
I saw this in IMAX 3D too, pretty good. I definitely enjoyed it but the word "unobtanium" really annoyed me too. overall 8/10.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »
Yeah...unobtanium?  WTF?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »
Why would it be a big deal to make up some kind of element?  Did any of you guys complain about adamantium?

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:03:09 PM »
I thought the movie was AWESOME, 8/10.

I didn't see it on IMAX cuz I figured it would way too busy.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:35 PM »
Why would it be a big deal to make up some kind of element?  Did any of you guys complain about adamantium?
I'm with cheeze on this point.  Plus it was a nod to sci fi nerds who use the word unobtanium to describe any new element that magically has special properties to fit the plot of a movie.

Movie was a lot of fun to watch, a lot like a roller coaster ride.  Absolutely must be seen in 3d, I can see a lot of people renting this the day it comes out on DVD and wondering what all the fuss was about.  Plot was only so-so, humans bad, indigenous people good, etc, but the visuals and imagination make up for it in my opinion.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:34:30 AM »
Saw it in both 2 and 3D.  Great either way.

Zaphod

• Jackass I
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
Saw it in 3d Imax, great to feel the movie in your chair.
Nice visuals for a Pocahontas story.
I must admit "unobtanium" as a name took away from the credabiltity of the film.
I'm sure I'll buy it later to watch again.

9/10 (cause I don't get out much)
"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."- Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes)"

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 12:18:37 PM »
BTW the 3D theater had far superior sound to the 2D.  Same cinema just different theaters.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
While visually awesome (I especially liked night scenes), I thought the story and dialogue was very very mediocre.
I'd have to agree with this.

We saw it in 2-D because it wasn't playing in 3-D or IMAX on the day we had time to go (yesterday).

I thought the visuals and the idea behind the world itself were great. There were some minor things I might change, but still it was well crafted. But the story itself and dialog was mediocre. I wanted it to be more complex.

Also, I would have liked it better if it wasn't a war movie. A more thoughtful resolution to the fight would have worked better, in my opinion. They kind of set it up that way (in my mind at least) so I was a bit disappointed that they didn't follow through.

I thought the acting for the alien characters was really good, especially the main girl character. You could really sense the emotions on their faces (don't know if that was the actors, the CGI or both). The human acting was fine, too.

Overall, the visuals, even in 2-D, and the interesting premise were bigger factors than the mediocre story and dialog, so I give it 8/10.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
Finally saw this yesterday. I was quite skeptical - but wow!, what a ride! I'd love to see it in an iMax 3D, I bet it looks great. The story was OK, acting was meh (I'm glad this did not win an oscar for movie of the year) but the graphics and overall design was breathtaking. 9/10
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.