Author Topic: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!  (Read 79513 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!
« Reply #225 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:25 PM »
Rate my form

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=776823277809
(I think that will just work)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Fitness megathread - discuss weight loss, fat loss, working out, etc here!
« Reply #226 on: January 20, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »
My toe is never going to be normal again.

In other news, I joined my brother at the gym today and ran for 45 minutes. The treadmill said I ran 2.75 miles. I hate treadmills.

Also, the past few days have marked a loss of 15 lbs from my heaviest weight 2 1/2 years ago. I'm now back to my '05 weight and below 130.
2/3 of the loss happened over the past 6 months. Probably a combination of eating less, running, and overwhelming stress of balancing work and trying to graduate in December.
It was a bit interesting throughout the process, because some people commented on the weight loss in what I felt like was less obvious stages, but I guess it all depends on what areas of the body you're losing weight in first.  Also amusing was seeing later reactions from my family during the holidays.  My dad, one morning, quite suddenly said, "Whoa, you lost a lot of weight."  Even my grandmother who typically lets me know that I should try to lose weight asked me if I was sick after seeing me recently (you can never win...).

So anyway. I just wanted to update. I'm going to watch Beauty and the Beast now.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
woo finally have a reason to post here.

Over the past two years I've replaced muscle with fat, and three weeks ago I was at my heaviest ever! I decided to start lifting again.

This is week three, and I see big muscle gain and the strength is certainly coming back fast. I'm lifting 5 times a week - upper body only for now. Alternate workouts between chest and arms, and back and shoulders.

I precede each workout with about 10 minutes of speed bag - its a damn good warm up. Chest and arm workouts last an hour and a half and back and shoulders last an hour.

Biggest gain so far is in bench press. When I started three weeks ago I was lifting with 115lb - I'm up to lifting 205 x 10 reps comfortably. I did not try a max yet, as I don't have a spotter (I work out in my garage/pics to come soon) - but my buddy is coming over this week and I am interested in how much I can lift. At my peak, about six years ago, my max was 385.

My concentration curls have big gains too. I started with 20lbs x10 x3 and now I'm up to 35lbs x12 x3.

Let me tell you, IT FEELS GREAT. And it is nice to see my body react so well to this and transform rather fast. I think it will slow down significantly in another two weeks or so.

I don't know how much weight I lost - I don't weight my self...but my wife says I've lost quite a bit.

I have a little help by getting a boost in energy by drinking a creatine mix 45 minutes before I lift. It tastes like shit but it works (I've used it in the past and highly recommend it). Drink a lot of water though - daily recommendation is 120oz. I'll continue the creatine cycle for another three weeks.

Hopefully as the weather gets nicer I will do more cardio - biking or playing ball.

but so far so good! :)

wow. I fell off quick that time :o I think I just got burned out real quick. Interesting how my progression was about the same as this time. BP was higher - probably because of the creatine.

But my arms are stronger, I almost started out with the set I post above; and even though I don't do concentration curls too much this time, I bet I can do the same set with more weight.

Fuck, I really need to stick with this, this time. fuck.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
big difference between then and now, other than about 50 pounds, is that last time I did this alone at home. Now I have a buddy and we go to the gym...

fuck.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
big difference between then and now, other than about 50 pounds, is that last time I did this alone at home. Now I have a buddy and we go to the gym...

fuck.

Having a person to go with can be a big help, especially if you have a regular schedule. Another option is to join some kind of club or program (like Mike's doing with cross-fit for example). I go to Judo twice a week for 2 hours, it's a great workout and the scheduled practices really keep me exercising regularly. If I didn't have that commitment I wouldn't work out nearly as much. I try to balance that with running and lifting when I have the time, but even when I get busy and stop the running and lifting, I always feel compelled to make the Judo classes.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Wish I had a gym partner.  Really helps!

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
I sprained my foot yesterday. Someone stepped on it with some cleats (but she still didn't grab my flag, HAH), and I was pretty sure something was fractured later in the afternoon.

So far that means I've lost my right toenail from someone stepping on my toe with cleats, sprained my right toe due to a car accident, and now sprained the top of my left foot from also getting stepped on.
On the up side, that's 0/3 in fractures! This sure does ruin the gym membership I just got though.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
what do you guys listen to when you work out?

when I do cardio at the gym I either watch music videos or some history channel show. When I lift I used to listen to the "50 cent" pandora station...but now I got back to my white roots!! and lately have been listening to "system of a down" station which includes the likes of korn, slipknot, and disturbed. Bad ass. def gets me more pumped up to lift heavy weights then hip hop did.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
my weakest and under developed muscle group are the deltoids. any tips?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
I listen to audiobooks.

Lots and lots of them.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
I listen to audiobooks.

Lots and lots of them.

I know I could not do that. I use music as a motivational spring board...the harder it is the more pumped I get. But it also could be the 'roids talkin' ;)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Same as Knuck. Usually books. Sometimes podcasts. Always been a spoken word guy so....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
At the gym I listen to lots of angry rap or rock.  Nonpoint, SoaD, Method Man, Wu Tang, etc.  When I run I don't listen to anything

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
How do you guys listen to podcasts or audiobooks when you workout?  I wouldn't be able to concentrate