Author Topic: Good start for today  (Read 5192 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Good start for today
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Jesus Kermi I'm glad I don't pay for your school (yet)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
meh, whatever. i guess you guys showed me.

:scratchhead: I know this was way earlier in the conversation but I don't think anybody proved your argument wrong or really even tried. I know I just wanted to provide a different way of looking at things. I think maybe I wasn't clear on that.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
That's fair on undergrad vs community etc...though I do think there's a need for strong undergrad programs...something has to prepare you for doc programs and provide low level lab techs...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
That's fair on undergrad vs community etc...though I do think there's a need for strong undergrad programs...something has to prepare you for doc programs and provide low level lab techs...

right, IF you're going to go into a doc program.

if you're going to college because you're supposed to and after 4 years of partying you join the rest of the ubiquitous pink-collar class drones in a job that requires few, if any, of the "skills" you acquired, then whats the point?  At least, whats the point of going to an 80 or 100k institution. 

If you want to be a low-level lab tech then go to a technical school for 2 years and learn how to do that.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Good start for today
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 05:12:25 PM »
Agree completely. I just hate to see people completely locked into a track from day one.

Also to be clear - it's the undergrads who serve as low level lab techs in research labs. Masters students too. Often unpaid...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 08:58:54 PM »
saw this getting posted around facebook:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/mike-rowe-senate-testimony.html

We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 02:39:34 PM »
saw this getting posted around facebook:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/mike-rowe-senate-testimony.html

We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

I don't think that's a bad thing. I think having the ability and the mindset to pick up a shovel is something that should be encouraged and might be something that society needs improvement on, but it doesn't have to be at the expense of elevating the importance of higher education.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
I know Mike Rowe looks like an "everyman" on Dirty Jobs, but the dude is rich as hell and is a classically trained opera singer.  It's not like he's some shlub that was discovered working on a road tar crew.  I don't disagree with his sentiment at all, but he's not one of the blue collar people he champions, not by a long shot.