Author Topic: $4/gal soon  (Read 6618 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
$4/gal soon
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 07:28:29 PM »
So you pay more taxes....but it would be interesting to see who gets more miles (km) per dollar.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
$4/gal soon
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 07:52:03 PM »
>> We should pay more for our petrol because we drive more efficient cars?? <<

no.

>>Or was your point that it has less impact on us? Not sure we cover smaller distances either, and the only time I use public transport is when I go into the smoke (infrequently these days).<<

sort of. I'm basically saying that even though gas is much cheaper in the states than in you neck of the woods, on average (I highly suspect) Americans spend more money on fuel.

As for the distance, I don't have any stats, but I really think Americans cover the most distance per day/spend a longer time in the car, than any other nation.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
$4/gal soon
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 08:04:16 PM »
I pay about 120 pesos which is about 4 dollars for a gallon.........and we're a freaking developing country (Dominican Republic), sometimes i really hate this country and think about going back to the states.........which i probably will soon. And i get about 18 to 19 miles per gallon because of the stupid traffic.
No fuel efficient cars, no good roads, a bunch of corrupt cops that stop you once in a while to make sure you're "papers" are all in order. So... you guys have it good.

salvelinus

• Founders
$4/gal soon
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
Lifestyle's part of it, but the US is bigger than any European country, unless you count Russia as European. Our states are about the size of countries there, and out west, some counties are bigger than eastern states. It's not like driving from London to Oxford. Outside of metro areas, you have to go a long ways to go anywhere. At 70 mph, I'm 5 hours from Detroit, 8 hours from Chicago. It takes gas to get places, and at least in the northern states, you need vehicles that can handle lots of snow, which usually means 4 wheel drive, which usually means SUVs.
I know the US could do better in a lot of areas here, but you can't compare apples to oranges.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
$4/gal soon
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 11:17:51 PM »
Quote from: kermi3
So you pay more taxes....but it would be interesting to see who gets more miles (km) per dollar.

Actually it'd be more interesting to see what portion the their budget the average american sets aside for gas VS the other side of the pond.  Too me that'd be the real comparison

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
$4/gal soon
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 11:23:07 PM »
Quote from: Mike
Actually it'd be more interesting to see what portion the their budget the average american sets aside for gas VS the other side of the pond.  Too me that'd be the real comparison

right now, on average I spend $35 a week on gas
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
$4/gal soon
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 11:44:57 PM »
But out of how much taken in?  Saying you spend XYZ / week really doesn't put it in light.

Lets take two completely fictional countries that have no bearing on the real world:
Country A pays $1.50 / gallon and the average person spends $100 / month on gas and makes $4000 a month

Country B pays $2.00 / gallon and the average person spends $150 / month on gas and makes $5000 a month

Who's getting the better end of the stick?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
$4/gal soon
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 04:47:46 AM »
http://www.presentationhelper.co.uk/business/News/family_spending.htm

Households in London spent by far the most on transport services (such as rail, tube, bus and air fares) at £16.70 a week, nearly double the UK average of £8.50. However, they spent the least on petrol, diesel and other motor oils at £11.90 a week, compared to a UK average of £14.80 ($26.74).

Couldn't find a similar average for the states...

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
$4/gal soon
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 05:05:40 AM »
fuels up to around AU$1.30/Litre in Sydney...the worst its ever been
i have a stationary fetish

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
$4/gal soon
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2005, 08:06:59 AM »
alls i know is that if we had decent public transportation like a rail system or a bus system that is (mostly) on time and that runs early enough for me to get to work on time (0630), i would so be on there (locally here in S TX).

hello, gas card, meet mr shredder....and say hay to mr bus/rail pass.

right now, i spend about $120 a month for gas, a bus card here is about $20.  i am so thinking of switching to a diesel car for the gas milage.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
$4/gal soon
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2005, 08:29:22 AM »
I'm going to start riding the bike to work.  It's only about 3 miles, now.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
$4/gal soon
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2005, 08:45:29 AM »
Before the hikes, I was spending around $250/month for gas for my car (up about 2 gas tanks for softball season), and that doesn't include my wife and her car, which at one point was around $330+/month.

Doing the calculations, that's about 14% of our budget (using net pay).  Today, my wife works 5 miles from our house, and I'm not playing softball in another state.  Last month our gas bill was around $340.  She also makes just slightly less now, so it's down to about 8.5% of our budget, again using net pay.  However, figure in the 32% jump in gas price (that's being conservative since we've made that jump already and it is supposed to climb), and we're back up to 11.2% of our budget.

So effectively, gas is between 9% and 11% of the average household budget (if you consider me the average case, and I'd put myself there).

I'd like to see someone from across the pond do the same comparison.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
$4/gal soon
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2005, 09:04:28 AM »
Fucking hell Ben. Are you driving a Jumbo Jet or something?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
$4/gal soon
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 09:07:27 AM »
Oldsmobile... I get about 24 MPG, but that's partly due to the fact that I cross 3 mountains on the way to work and back.  I normally get around 28-30.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
$4/gal soon
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 09:12:58 AM »
So you're doing 2040 miles a month? That's way above average.