Author Topic: Smartpay App for Gas  (Read 4162 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Smartpay App for Gas
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:45:04 AM »
I don't really have a point for this thread, just wanted to point out how awesome it is living in the future.

My favorite local gas station chain, Cumberland Farms, has a really great program that saves you $0.10/gallon on gas when you use their app that is linked to your bank account.  Basically, its like getting a cash discount but there's no cash involved and the stores don't actually discount for cash payments (they have the same price for cash and credit so it really is a $0.10 savings)

Anyway, the part that is awesome to me is that they've linked the online app to real-life hardware, eg: the gas pump.

You drive up to the pump and open the app.  The GPS on your phone knows which store you're at and asks for the pump number.  With one tap of the screen,  the price on the pump rolls back $0.10 and the pump is activated. 

The concept is simple, but for some reason, the first time I used it, it just blew my mind. 

Anyway, I've been using it since March and have saved close to $25 to date.

I love the idea of connecting traditionally offline devices to the internet and I hope to see this sort of thing explode in the coming years.

What else have you guys seen that seems equally cool?  What are some things you can think of that aren't currently connected to the web but should be?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Smartpay App for Gas
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
That sounds awesome

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:33:33 PM »
 :dblthumb2:

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
here's a screenshot from the app.

Anyway, I was thinking of other cool uses IRL of online technology, like reserving a movie on redbox's website and then picking it up or ordering a pizza from dominos and having it feed into the in-store ordering system as if you made a phone call.

Imagine if you expanded the online order system for pizza and moved it to a full fledged restaurant.  You could order your food before you get there, or from your phone at the table and the waitress could carry a mini-tablet instead of a notepad and enter your order right into the centralized system while at your table; hell she could even swipe your credit card while she's standing there. 

The apple store already does this with customized iPod Touch devices that their employees use for everything.

Who wants to go into business with me changing the world?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
>waitress could carry a mini-tablet instead of a notepad and enter your order right into the centralized system while at your table

This one exists and is pretty common in europe. A lot of cafes have seats randomly distributed in plaza's, you sit down and the waitress takes your order on a wireless device. The order goes to the restaurant's kitchen and she comes out with it later. A few times I had lunch or a coffee and I didn't even know which restaurant I was eating at because they're all crammed in together so close....

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
well thats cool.

I feel like with the internet connection the ability to write browser-based ( or app-based) software that runs on a connected after-market device, the entry price for custom logistic solutions could come WAY down.  Mom and pop stores could connect inventory to POS devices and handheld scanners without investing in expensive unique single-purpose hardware or even custom-built software.

Sure UPS and FedEx and the people who issue parking tickets can still buy their custom devices, but imaging the possibilities for niche businesses in every other industry to harness the power and productivity of interconnected remote devices.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »
Fucking piece of shit devices.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 08:38:33 PM »
 :lol:

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 04:17:41 AM »
>> waitress could carry a mini-tablet instead of a notepad and enter your order right into the centralized system while at your table; hell she could even swipe your credit card while she's standing there.<<

When I was in Japan, this was the norm.  The states really need to pick up on it.  Hell, one of our favorite izakaya restaurant had iPad-like devices that had the menus - so you just pick what you want, specify how much you want and hit send.  2 mins later, here they come to deliver your stuff.

Bad part it was only in Japanese - if it was just English speakers we had to ask for the English paper menu and then point to what we want so the waitstaff enters it in their hand-held-order-taking-thingie.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:07:22 AM »
I feel like with the internet connection the ability to write browser-based ( or app-based) software that runs on a connected after-market device, the entry price for custom logistic solutions could come WAY down.  Mom and pop stores could connect inventory to POS devices and handheld scanners without investing in expensive unique single-purpose hardware or even custom-built software.

This.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »
As a follow up, nearly a year after we began using the app we're about to cross the $100 threshold for savings.  Thats 1,000 gallons using the app in one year.  Crazy.

Anyway, on top of that, I just won free coffee for a year from that same chain of stores!  They had a contest on social media where they wanted you to post a picture of yourself with a certain hashtag.  I don't think there were a  lot of participants so that increased my odds but, hey, I'm not complaining!  I haven't gotten the coupons yet, but according to the rules, I won a book of coupons, each good for a 16oz coffee or 24oz iced coffee.  A $365 value!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »
Congrats :)