Author Topic: Watches  (Read 15909 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Watches
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »
My phone does exercise tracking.  When we went to Disney/Universal we put between 4 and 120 miles a day on the legs.

:shock: 120!

It's a long walk between Disneyworld and Universal Studios.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
Sigh 10.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 08:40:08 AM »
Laura got me a Grand Seiko for my 50th birthday recently. 

https://theluxurywell.com/products/grand-seiko-snow-flake-spring-drive-titanium-white-dial-new-model

That model.  We found an licensed dealer between Baltimore and DC.  Nice shop.  The owners were half from Shanghai, so she had a blast, we got a better price than a year old used model, and I was given a rare hand signed catalog by the actual designer of the watch.  Oh and a ball cap.

I think I might switch out of the bracelet and go with a blue strap instead.  Like the attached photo.

The Seiko is a nice dress and casual watch, but way too nice for day to day wear.  I will most likely get a Damasko to be my daily wear watch.  They make their living on very legible watches that are known for extreme durability and near inability to mar or scratch.

Not sure of the model yet.  One of the two below.

http://www.damasko-watches.com/us/models/three-hand-models/rehaut/da373

http://www.damasko-watches.com/us/da20black

Thoughts on looks?

Probably get one off of the used market.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »
wait you turned 50?!  huh, I knew you were old but....  :D
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
wait you turned 50?!  huh, I knew you were old but....  :D

Funny man.  Yeah somehow I made it a half of a century.   :dunno:

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
Thoughts on looks?

Of those two, I like the DA373 better.  Mostly because it is black and white.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 06:10:24 AM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
Thoughts on looks?

+1

I like the idea of the leather band as well.  Much more comfortable.  I have always had issues, being a hairy fuck, with my arm hair catching between the pieces of the band and pulling from time to time.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »
Knuck, that grand seiko is gorgeous - totally my style too :) - I like it more with the original band than the leather. And boy, that is expensive - holy cow. What a gift!

The other too I do not like :/

I looooove watches - I could easily fall into collecting them and have been fighting it for many years. One day I'll probably give in. Only have two so far - both nice.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
Thoughts on looks?

+1

I like the idea of the leather band as well.  Much more comfortable.  I have always had issues, being a hairy fuck, with my arm hair catching between the pieces of the band and pulling from time to time.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
Thoughts on looks?

+1

:rofl: :D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 06:17:25 AM »
Knuck, that grand seiko is gorgeous - totally my style too :) - I like it more with the original band than the leather. And boy, that is expensive - holy cow. What a gift!

The other too I do not like :/

I looooove watches - I could easily fall into collecting them and have been fighting it for many years. One day I'll probably give in. Only have two so far - both nice.

My advice is to take the time to learn about movements, the differing types, history of them, and the players today and over the last say 80 ish years.  All before starting to choose. 

The GS is too pricey to wear to work. The second watch is a lower price point with a very durable movement, extreme at a glance legibility, and highly durable case.  For pure durability the Damasko is, so far as I am aware, best in catagory.  I think the Ward is going to be nearly as durable but it lacks the at a glance  legibility.

Leather and rubber straps are to me a comfort improvement in certain environments and capable of completely changing the look of the watch.

Obes the higher quality bracelets don't shave your arm by brute force.  The bracelet on the GS is exceptionally comfortable even for a hirsute wrist.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 08:25:34 AM »
Good to know.  Then again I stopped wearing a watch several years ago and don't intend to return to it.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 07:59:45 PM »
I had a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier for 2-1/2 days. I bought it on Tuesday on sale for $279. I figured I didn't really get a birthday or father's day gift and I deserved to get myself something nice since I just wrapped up a side project and got my first paycheck at the new job a week ago.  Well for probably obvious reasons, I just returned it because some other expenses came up.

Anyway, I really liked it.  My wife has had the apple iwatch for years and uses it every day.  She has a lot of friends texting her so its convenient to quickly see whats going on when you hear your phone chime, instead of picking up the phone to look when you're in the middle of a conversation with someone else.  I, of course, don't really have that problem since the only people I talk to out side of work is my family and my wife's the only person who ever texts me anyway.

That said, I've had a fitbit for a couple years and love tracking my heart rate and steps (albeit not that many steps) and I thought it'd be cool to add some functionality - like previewing calls and controlling my phone's music, and having cool watch faces with photo's of my kids etc.  The S3 does all that and its pretty neat.  Maybe if the S4 comes out this fall I'll get it for Christmas.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."