Author Topic: RIAA Getting Crazy  (Read 5359 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: RIAA Getting Crazy
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »
There are musicians however that simply play for tips.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
Problem is, in a few years there won't be any music to buy. No-one wants to work for free.

*waits for arguments about making money from live shows*

If you believe that then we simply need to agree to disagree.  IMHO that is a silly statement.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 06:13:21 PM »
Problem is, in a few years there won't be any music to buy. No-one wants to work for free.

*waits for arguments about making money from live shows*

If you believe that then we simply need to agree to disagree.  IMHO that is a silly statement.

You can disagree with it, and perhaps it's exaggerated, but please give me a reason why you think it's silly. Perhaps we misunderstand each other.

My point...

1. Artist makes record.
2. Artist sells record.
3. Artist gets paid.

Or

1. Artist makes record
2. RoD steals record (or MP3, or whatever)
3. Artist starves, or gets job as McD chef.

Sorry, I don't understand why you'd disagree :dunno:

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 06:23:21 PM »
Oh, OK I think I get it. You think I'm talking about the article that RoD posted. No obviously that's bullshit. If I buy a CD I'm buying a license to listen to that music, and I can listen to it in (and convert it to) any damn format I like.

I would go so far as to say that if I've bought a record on vinyl then I should be legally allowed to download a digital version of it for free (I've already bought a license to listen to it, right? Proof would be difficult, of course...). The RIAA can't have it both ways.

My argument is purely against RoD's view that he has a right to illegally pirate music via file sharing. That's what will kill music IMHO.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 09:45:30 PM »
Yes.  The article.  What the RIAA has been doing and is doing is nothing short of evil. My CDs, tapes, albums, my PC, my player(s).  No excuse for that crap.

If someone is going to steal without any regard to anyone or anything else, I can NOT support the behaviour.

That said.  I can understand using apps to DL music because:

Consumers are tired of paying 2x what the album is worth

Consumers dislike getting one or two decent cuts and then a butt load of cuts designed to waste CD space

Consumers know damned well that everyone who really made the music happen is getting pretty well screwed.

Knowing most of the cash goes to support a legal and financial system that in the end helps no one and nothing.  It is a near complete negative.

Knowing that there are a number of models currently in operation that are profitable, functional, and have none of the draconian limits proposed by the RIAA.

Finally.  This is really the only tool that has been made available to the public to actively promote change for the better.  Note please.  This has started to happen.  It is working.

You will never get rid of true thieves.  In any industry.

However I truly believe that the average Joe wants a safe, fair, simple, unencumbered, and reasonably priced option with which to purchase any media.  Providing this would IMHO reduce digital abuse to the point of insignificance.  Well, at least in the US. 

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »
Why are people okay with spending $10.75 to see a
movie once based on a 30 second preview, but not
okay with spending $10 on a CD that you can listen
to over and over again after getting a 3 minute preview?

Because internet bandwidth doesn't allow the "easy" sharing of them like the music. Back when we had dialup, mp3 swapping wasn't as big a deal either. From what I've been reading, the movie industry is aware they're going to have a problem and are already talking with iTunes and such so they don't end up like the music industry. I was just talking with my boss yesterday that I think movie theaters will become a thing of the past too once the movie people release directly to Comcast, iTunes, etc. The population at large is decent and will pay for content but they need a channel. If the only channel is illegal, that's not as big of a moral dilemma. iTunes is a perfect example of this. The industry thought Jobs was crazy thinking people would actually pay for music when they can download for free. Now they're all trying to get a piece of the action. There are still people that don't pay, but a lot of them do.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 10:37:09 AM »
I don't think people will have the big ass screen and sound system that they have at theatres anytime soon so I think movie theatres will be safe for a while.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 11:33:36 AM »
It's the DVD and DVD rental industry that has to worry.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 10:59:23 PM »
knuck pretty much said it all
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?