Author Topic: fishing  (Read 4263 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
fishing
« on: May 29, 2018, 11:52:00 AM »
Does anyone fish?

When I was single I had a group of like minded friends and we fished - quite a bit. During the season we would fish 2 to 3 weekends per month and often one or two days per week after school/work. After I got married and had kids, fishing is one of those activities I stopped doing completely. 3 years ago, when my kids were old enough, we started going out every once in a while when we were at the cabin. This was only a few times per year. Each year it was more and more. Both my kids like it, but my son especially. Last year I invested in some better gear before I went fishing for a week to the BWCA. I got my kids regular rods as well.

Fishing is a great way to spend time with the kids and friends. I really clear my mind on the water - forget about work and shit like that. The rods have been traveling with us back and forth from the cabin and we've (my son and I) been fishing on some week nights. Even my wife got a fishing license this year and we all went trout fishing together a few weeks ago and had a great time.

I'm also trying to step up my game to catch bigger and more fish, and I love youtube for things like this. In the past you would have to get pretty lucky to find someone who would share some fishing "secrets" with you - and now this type of information sharing is so simple! Love it.

I really wanted to get a used fishing boat this year - but decided to wait until I can buy a new one without taking out a loan.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:44:47 PM »
I haven't fished since I was a kid. I didn't like touching worms, or fish for that matter so my dad gave up trying to take me.  I kinda regret it now.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
I fished when I was a kid into my teenage years.  My dad was never into it other than a random deep sea fishing trip I went on.  I've gone randomly as an adult and I don't enjoy it.  It's the same as hunting.  Went as a kid... killed a few deer... didn't really enjoy it.  My brother will spend hours in the woods just sitting in a tree stand.  That's not my jam.  Same with fishing.

I even took Colin with the Cub Scouts on a weekend trip to camp out and we went fishing... he didn't enjoy it either.  I'd rather be playing a sport or writing code.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 06:44:01 AM »
Boats are a pain in the ass.  Surprisingly high upkeep for the time you actually get to spend in them.  I spent huge portions of my youth fishing and boating.  I maintain a boat is like a pool.  They are great if they are somebody else's to deal with.  They are fine if you live somewhere warm and on the waterfront with your own launch.  Even then they eventually just sit there most of the time aging and needing to be maintained after they stall 5 miles out for the umteenth time.  Despite the fact they are a year old and been treated like royalty.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:22:23 AM »
Everyone I've ever known that owned a boat said the same thing.  Massive money pit.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

Heard that from more than a few people

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 10:04:58 AM »
I haven't fished since I was a kid. I didn't like touching worms, or fish for that matter so my dad gave up trying to take me.  I kinda regret it now.

this year my son can bait his own hooks - crawlers and minnows, so that is a big help that I don't have to do it for him every few minutes :p
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
I fished when I was a kid into my teenage years.  My dad was never into it other than a random deep sea fishing trip I went on.  I've gone randomly as an adult and I don't enjoy it.  It's the same as hunting.  Went as a kid... killed a few deer... didn't really enjoy it.  My brother will spend hours in the woods just sitting in a tree stand.  That's not my jam.  Same with fishing.

I even took Colin with the Cub Scouts on a weekend trip to camp out and we went fishing... he didn't enjoy it either.  I'd rather be playing a sport or writing code.

yep. Not for everybody and that's cool. My dad didn't fish either, but my grandfather did. We would fish a lot when I would go for the summers to Poland as a kid. He taught me a lot about it and I remember those times fondly.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
Boats are a pain in the ass.  Surprisingly high upkeep for the time you actually get to spend in them.  I spent huge portions of my youth fishing and boating.  I maintain a boat is like a pool.  They are great if they are somebody else's to deal with.  They are fine if you live somewhere warm and on the waterfront with your own launch.  Even then they eventually just sit there most of the time aging and needing to be maintained after they stall 5 miles out for the umteenth time.  Despite the fact they are a year old and been treated like royalty.

The reasoning behind getting an inexpensive used boat this year was to see if it actually will be worth it and if I will use it. But then I figured I would probably spend more time fixing a  used boat rather than fishing. I want to go out there to fish and get rid of stress, rather than have more of it. That's why I changed my mind and am thinking about a new one down the road. And I want a simple fishing boat. Nothing fancy, something with a good motor that I feel comfortable in. Something like this .

This year we've rented a boat once, and doing it again this Sunday.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
Haha

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 05:59:53 AM »
Seriously though good luck with the boat endeavor.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
I wanna learn to fly fish. Make my own flies and things

me too, but there is really no place close to here that I can do it. The trout streams in Wisconsin are often way to small with trees on either side so that a fly fishing would not work. I use a short rod with a spinning reel in those circumstances.