Author Topic: What new tech have you been playing with?  (Read 3771 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
What new tech have you been playing with?
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »
This year I've gotten a chance to try out some new tech and ways of doing things.

Big one:  Completely splitting our front and back ends.  On one project they are actually two different repos.

Angularjs: Interesting way of organizing and building the front end.  We combined it with a RESTful backend and have had some really good results.  Can be a little heavy at times.

Jade templates: Holy fucking shit balls I love these.  I was sure about them at first as writing HTML isn't that hard but man it is so much nicer in jade.  For one thing indentation matters so the files are so going to be cleaner.

Gulp: If you are dealing with node.js systems this is a nice builder.  Our front end has a gulp file that builds all the jade files into html files, takes all the JS and CSS and combines them into one file each, can minify those files, move the files to the distribution direction, and the like.

tmux If you spend a significant amount of time on the command line then tmux is great.  Can split views, have multiple windows, and best of all: can disconnect from the server and processes inside the tmux session will keep going (kinda like with screen).  One of my mainstays, especially when working on a server.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: What new tech have you been playing with?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »
I use mRemoteNG (www.mremoteng.org) for terminal stuff, but I don't really spend a lot of time in a terminal.  I mainly like it because it remembers login details and I can have multiple sessions open at once.

I just bought my team Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/) for an easier time merging.  We've got a lot of branches open right now and a LOT of coding happening.  We try to merge frequently enough but sometimes we get behind and a good tool can save the day.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »
I use mRemoteNG (www.mremoteng.org) for terminal stuff, but I don't really spend a lot of time in a terminal.  I mainly like it because it remembers login details and I can have multiple sessions open at once.
Window's app?  If so that's awesome as Window's terminal blows chunks.  You can use that in conjunction with tmux on the servers and have a lot of fun.

I just bought my team Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com/) for an easier time merging.  We've got a lot of branches open right now and a LOT of coding happening.  We try to merge frequently enough but sometimes we get behind and a good tool can save the day.
Since we are only 6 programmers we don't run into a lot of merge conflicts and the ones we do are generally pretty easy (like 90% of the time it is two branches that both add an import to the top of the file or similar).  I've had some painful merge conflicts in the past and a good tool does help a lot.  Does that one let you just type in what you want for the results?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:02 PM »
Yeah, mRemoteNG is a windows app.

We only have 8 developers but I think we have 4 or 5 open branches right now, so it can get messy.  To be honest I haven't used the tool myself in several years.  One of our developers had his own license to it and recommended it for the team after some recent difficult merges so I got approval and bought licenses for the whole team.