Author Topic: DVR TIVO  (Read 2480 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
DVR TIVO
« on: December 22, 2006, 10:34:26 AM »
Hey all.

I have an original Series One DirecTivo.

I love the thing.  It has a small HDD and is not the fastest and or most powerful little thing, nor does it do HD.  However it is simple never ever (over like six years) screws up and has never had a hardware failure.  ~ Well actually my original failed when struck pretty directly by lightning, it actually blew smoke.  But I am pretty sure that would have killed anything. ~

What are the opinions out there with Tivo competitors and newer models?

Ease of use?

Problems and bugs?

Compatability with input and output devices and sources?

Knuck

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: DVR TIVO
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
If I wanted a PVR I think I'd turn my old PC into a linux box with MythTV. I have a friend who really likes that set up. I've never tried any PVRs before...

Doesn't Tivo have a subscription fee or something? Whats that all about?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:20:39 AM »
I'm about to load GB-PVR onto my new PC.  I hear good things about it...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 01:05:34 PM »
I've had DirecTV with TiVo for about 3 years and love it. Of course, I'd love most any competent DVR setup. It does have an extra $5 fee attached to the DirecTV monthly bill, but that's ok with me.

Before that I had ReplayTV and thought it was good, too. There were parts of its interface I preferred over TiVo, but overall they were comparable. I've also used a computer based DVR thingie, but never used it much because my computer was jumpy and so there would be stops and starts in the video every two seconds. Once I realized it was the old Zip drive attached to the machine causing it, I had already switched to DirecTV which was harder (if even possible) to setup with the PC DVR.

All I need from my setup is the ability to record 2 shows at once (while being able to watch a previously recorded show), ability to watch shows instantaneously on my "big" TV, ability to pick a show and have all episodes of that show recorded automatically (even if it has a slightly different start time each week) and maybe some of the listing search features. I get that right now. I'd consider a linux box based option or something like that if I could get those features and not clutter up my living room. I honestly don't know if that's possible or not.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 01:34:41 PM »
I use GB-PVR with satisfaction. I don't think it's as nice as a Tivo setup but it accomplishes my goal of digital VCR. I don't use it for pausing/rewinding live TV. It has a web scheduling ability too which I like when I'm away from home but want to record a show.
This signature intentionally left blank.