Nothing.  Perfect as-is
4 (66.7%)
Upgrade existing software
2 (33.3%)
Change to new software
0 (0%)
Abandon site - no one comes here anymore
0 (0%)
Choose a new platform entirely (Reddit, FB, etc.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: The Future of EntropySink  (Read 4289 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
The Future of EntropySink
« on: December 19, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
I feel like this place is on the outskirts of everyone's digital mind.  People rarely stop by and even more rarely converse let alone start new threads. 

This place 'feels' like an 'us' place and I worry that if we switch platforms that it will feel different and people will really drop off.  I still appreciate all of you and you all really are, despite the limited interactions recently, good friends of mine.  We've grown up together, had kids, gotten engaged/married, changed opinions... it's a real like commitment that I'm glad to be a part of.

I just feel some sense of complacency or ... whatever.  Maybe it's just me and I should STFU.  Too bad Maes isn't here.  STFU Maes  :)

Anyways, chime in.  Let's discuss.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: The Future of EntropySink
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »
Honestly, I'm cool with as-is.

I like having the history of previous posts here, and I don't know it's worth anybody's time or effort to make a change to other software or platforms in a way that would keep that history. I'd be against moving if the history isn't kept.

I'd fine is somebody wanted to upgrade SMF but I don't see the imminent need. Things work well, let's leave it alone as long as ober's cool with hosting it?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
Ditto what Chuck said.
I lurk every day to see if anyone posted.  With the slow-down in conversations I've kinda made a point of not over posting to much - I feel like I'm always complaining about stuff or whatever, plus anything else in my life is already on facebook. But agreed, the history of what's here is like a time capsule. I'm fine with leaving everything as is and if we all drift away at some point so be it but, no rush for that.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:37:41 AM »
I also agree with Charlie.

As time goes by I visit less and less but am always happy to see new posts - like today, right now, so many new posts. I'm excited.

Leave as is.

Another reason is that those that visit even less frequesntly than me won't know how to find us.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
Ok, I'm glad to hear that feedback.  Sometimes I get a bug in my ass to go to a more modern platform but I realize that's just my itch for new stuff.  I'm fine leaving it here perpetually and I have no issue hosting it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:32:25 AM »
I come by multiple times a day as it is part of my bored surfing habit.  I think the platform works well for us but from a security standpoint it should probably be updated to the latest minor.

I like reddit and all but we'd lose a lot of privacy and structure with that. Not sure what other platform we could use.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
I visit daily.  I see no reason to change the format.  Moving to FB would be the easy way out, but to be honest I feel FB is already too pervasive. 

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »
I visit daily.  I see no reason to change the format.  Moving to FB would be the easy way out, but to be honest I feel FB is already too pervasive. 

I don't have fb
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 08:55:16 AM »
I have it Jake... just don't use it.  My wife didn't even bother tagging me on her post this morning about my daughter's birthday because she knows I won't go on and check it out.  And that's probably her third post this year.  The only thing I use it for now is to keep up with my son's cub scout information.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Since getting engaged I've used it more.  We've had a bunch of events recently so we'll take a picture and post it.  It is mostly for our families.  Other than that I really only use it because my UU group uses it to organize things.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 01:41:28 AM »
I assume RoD is in prison? anyone know?  I don't think we want to speak his name in the open discussion threads
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »
And Dean

Yeah, I wonder what he's up to these days! But I would love to hear from stealth, and ken, and ken f, and many others that disappeared throughout the years.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »
Keep it as is.. RoD tried to snag me on LinkedIn a while ago....yeah....I think he’s somewhere here in Michigan?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »
I am good with it as is.  If a software upgrade becomes necessary for functionality that's fine too.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 03:14:07 PM »
Yeah. I’m okay with software for security etc...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own