Author Topic: Google Books  (Read 1186 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Google Books
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »
http://books.google.com/

pretty cool, how long has that been there? I don't even see it listed in the google labs page.

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
Re: Google Books
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:46:24 PM »
That's pretty old. I'd say more than 7 months or so.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 10:11:11 PM »
New to me... pretty cool.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 12:43:32 PM »
That's pretty old. I'd say more than 7 months or so.

heh, crazy.. I've never noticed it. I just searched for an author the other day and at the bottom of the page i saw a "search again on google books" link. I wonder if any of the free ones are decent.

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 01:38:02 PM »
I think there used to be a limit on pages per day or something (is this still the case today?), because they had some issues with copyright something something.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:46:09 PM »
In other news, google just released an Accessible Web Search (for all the visually impaired readers here)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »
Why can't I read the entire book?

We respect copyright law and the tremendous creative effort authors put into their work. So, unless any given book's publisher has given us permission to show sample pages, you'll only be able to see the Snippet View which, like a card catalog, shows information about the book plus a few snippets – a few sentences of your search term in context. If the book isn't under copyright at all, you can browse the entire book in the Full Book View, but the aim of Google Book Search is to help you discover books and learn where to buy or borrow them, not read them from start to finish. It's like going to a bookstore and browsing – with a Google twist.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »
Insane... I had read somewhere that they were scanning in some gi-normous library's entire collection and it was going to take several years.  Apparently they have some of it done.