Joe Biden (D)
3 (60%)
Jo Jorgensen (L)
2 (40%)
Howie Hawkins (G)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 03, 2020, 02:48:43 PM

Author Topic: Election 2020  (Read 53883 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Election 2020
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2020, 08:04:17 PM »
You're such a fuck head sometimes, Charlie. Stop analyzing so much and just enjoy the fucking show.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2020, 08:22:33 PM »
why bother with a vote at all.  Just let all the junkies run their statistical analysts and pick a winner.  :dunno:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #332 on: November 05, 2020, 08:29:49 PM »
why bother with a vote at all.  Just let all the junkies run their statistical analysts and pick a winner.  :dunno:
The last four years would have been a lot better if we had

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #333 on: November 05, 2020, 08:34:38 PM »
You're such a fuck head sometimes, Charlie. Stop analyzing so much and just enjoy the fucking show.

This is dumb because the election has significant effects on people's lives. I feel like the person treating this like a show is probably the bigger fuck head.

Not sure if you're serious here, Micah. We're talking about analyzing people's votes so we understand who they want to elect. If we don't have the election there's nothing to analyze.

Are you saying you'd prefer not to know that Trump's lead in Pennsylvania counts was never safe and was always likely to be overtaken as counting continued? Would you really prefer to believe that one candidate was going to win only to find out later that it wasn't going to happen? My guess is no, but that's all we're really talking about here. Getting a better understanding of the possible outcomes and which are more likely than others and which are not.

And finally... this isn't all about statistical analysis. Just paying attention to the right people who explain things like how many ballots are remaining in Georgia and which counties they are coming etc.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #334 on: November 05, 2020, 11:33:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIs4y4ryDJ0

this will not be pretty. Team Trump is taking a page from the DEMS 2016 playbook - and taking it a step further. This will drag on for a very long time and can lead to major unpleasantness
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #335 on: November 06, 2020, 12:37:20 AM »
I'm so tired of this bullshit.  There are adjudicators reviewing all the ballots that are questionable.  I'm so tired of the 'fraud' claim.  WTF.  The entire Trump campaign runs on fear, not information or plans.  I'm so tired of it.  These people are so afraid of the truth and they think they're hiding it.  Who can't see through this bullshit?

Mail in ballots never happened before?  They're always fraudulent?  WE DON'T KNOW, THEY COULD BE FROM MARS!?!?!  REALLLLLLLLLLLLLY?  GTFO.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #336 on: November 06, 2020, 09:04:00 AM »
I was surprised and happy to hear that major news organizations decided to cut away from his press conference and rebuke him instead of giving him a platform.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #337 on: November 06, 2020, 12:14:57 PM »
Anyway, now that this is essentially over:

* Democrats will lose a few seats in the House but keep control.
* Democrats will gain a few seats in the Senate and control will be determined by the two Georgia Senate races going to a runoff in January.
* Biden will win the popular vote clearly (he's up by 4 million votes and counting) and will probably win the Presidency in the electoral college by the same margin Trump did.

Across all three groups of races Democrats got more votes. Democrats have had more votes in 7 of the last 8 Presidential elections.

This makes it clear that at least when it comes to these two parties, Americans prefer Democrats. We talked about conservatives and a silent majority in another thread. I mistakenly conflated conservative with Republican there, but it's clear Republicans are not a majority. (Conservatives aren't either but they are a plurality.) Instead we have a divided electorate that very clearly leans towards the Democrats.

To be honest it doesn't really matter much to me personally. I don't "love" Democrats and don't consider them my team. But I do think it shows a "mandate" for whatever that is worth in that it is a clear victory relative to American elections in general. And conservatives shouldn't be able to claim it was a "close" election as reasoning not to enact the agenda Biden ran on. Despite the narratives that arose because of the way the votes were counted this was a repudiation of Trump and a solid victory for Biden.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #338 on: November 07, 2020, 12:47:14 PM »
AP just called it for Biden.  Depending on the source I'm seeing upwards of 290 EV.  Which gives some nice buffer while challenges are handled.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2020, 06:06:29 PM »
Ya, this is over. Doubtful Trump's side will win multiple state legal challenges. If it was just PA then maybe, but I'm going to guess it'll be hard to put together a legal team that would want to take on this task since it's pretty much a losing proposition.

What's going to be more important now is how Trump burns things down on his way out and what happens in GA senator races.
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #340 on: November 07, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
But I do think it shows a "mandate" for whatever that is worth in that it is a clear victory relative to American elections in general. And conservatives shouldn't be able to claim it was a "close" election as reasoning not to enact the agenda Biden ran on.

i would hardly call 3% difference a mandate.  This election just proved that, despite the entirety of pop-culture being anti-trump, we are still torn as a nation.  Despite how crazy and self-destructive trump is, nearly half of the voters still voted for him.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2020, 07:17:56 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't put it past him to gut the good people from the executive offices and department.  I'm kind of hoping that his EO regarding employee classifications just gets ignored.

Do you think he'll attend the swearing in?

Also, does anyone know the outcome of whether his Twitter posts are considered public record?  I know the @potus ones are but can't remember if his account is or not.  The mean part of me hopes it is and that he loses access to it.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #342 on: November 07, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
But I do think it shows a "mandate" for whatever that is worth in that it is a clear victory relative to American elections in general. And conservatives shouldn't be able to claim it was a "close" election as reasoning not to enact the agenda Biden ran on.

i would hardly call 3% difference a mandate.  This election just proved that, despite the entirety of pop-culture being anti-trump, we are still torn as a nation.  Despite how crazy and self-destructive trump is, nearly half of the voters still voted for him.

I generally agree with you in that in this country no federally elected official ever has a clear mandate because of the two-party polarization. I guess the point was that if you believe in mandates then this is a strong win that deserves one. It will be 4-5% before it's done, second biggest of the last six elections. So if you ever use the argument that elected officials should get to put in place their policies because they won their elections then you of course should allow that here.

And while I was for more restraint during the Obama administration I think the norm-breaking and power grabbing by Republicans in the Senate since then means that anything legal goes now.

- Get rid of filibuster? Good.
- Pass legislation with 50 votes and the VP? Do it if you need to and can.
- Expand the court? Sure. I prefer by 2 to go back to the us quo from before the Garland/Barrett gambit but if they want to go 4 then it's just as "ok" as what McConnell did.

On the other hand many of the norms that Trump and his administration specifically broke I do hope come back. Like I don't need Presidents to violate the Hatch Act every ten minutes and political hirings and firings for non-political executive branch offices is not something I want to see continue.

Stop analyzing so much and just enjoy the fucking show.

Ok fine... in honor of Jake I will stop and laugh at the total absurdity of the Trump campaign setting up a press conference at the Four Seasons, only to somehow end up doing it in the parking lot of a random business called Four Seasons Total Landscaping instead of at the hotel. That shit is so fucking hilarious I just can't

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #343 on: November 08, 2020, 08:24:27 AM »
Silly question: what happens to the wall now? Does Biden dismantle it? Keep as is? Or continue building?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #344 on: November 08, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
Well since it never actually got built and paid for by Mexico I'd say Biden will probably just shut the project down and leave it alone.
This signature intentionally left blank.