Author Topic: Official Esink Home Brewing Thread  (Read 29795 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Official Esink Home Brewing Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
I shared a recipe I developed on HBT for hard cider, sharing here also:

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.000
Boiling Time (Minutes): 10
Color: Light Cider
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Until 1.000
Tasting Notes: Maintains Apple Cider flavor, crisp, but smooth with no hint of alcohol.

Maintains Apple Cider flavor, crisp, but smooth with no hint of alcohol. Goes down very smooth, and is sweet like the original cider with a hint of cinnamon and an almost chocolate-apple aroma.

I have brewed up about 50 gallons of cider this year, and after 20 gallons of this recipe I came up with it surely is a winner in my book. I would love it if people gave this a go and let me know what they think.

A few notes before we begin:

- I have seen a few different OG readings over my batches, ranging from 1.040 to 1.075 so I'm estimating the average to be around 1.050. Note that yours may vary.

- Secondary is up to you. I leave it alone until the FG hits 1.000. You can go farther, or stop sooner.

Ok, let's get it on!

Equipment:

5 Gallon Carboy/Better Bottle/Pale
Airlock
Large Pot

Ingredients:

- 4 gallons of Apple Cider (UV Pasteurized, NO preservatives, unfiltered)
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2Lbs DARK Brown Sugar
- 1Lbs White Regular Sugar
- 6 Packets of Nestle Hot Chocolate (No Marshmallow's) (Trust me here, we are going on an adventure together)
- 4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 packet of Nottingham (I STRONGLY suggest Nottingham for this)

Dirty Work:

1) Pour 3 Gallons of Apple Cider into your primary.
2) Pour your last gallon of Apple Cider into the large pot. Add in the cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, white sugar, nutmeg and hot chocolate. Bring to a boil.
3) Boil for about 10 minutes, or as long as you need to properly dissolve all the ingredients. Remove from heat, allow to cool COMPLETELY.
4) Remove cinnamon sticks, discard.
5) Pour your glorious pot mixture into the primary, but save a little bit for washing the yeast down the funnel.
6) Pour your entire packet of yeast directly into the primary.
7) Use remaining pot mixture to wash yeast down funnel.

DO NOT.....DO NOT.....TOP OFF!!!! I promise if you do it will lead to bad things.

Get the airlock on there, I suggest filling with Vodka. Ferment at around 70F. Now sit back and let the minions do their work!!
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 05:41:52 PM »
^^ This recipe is killer. I passed out three 12 packs worth of it this week and the greedy bitches all want more
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 07:42:54 PM »
Just fiished bottling my first batch, ended up with just shy of 4gals. Tasted some of the remainder in the bottling bucket and it's still drinkable so that's good. Still flat but two more weeks and we'll see how well I did. I think later this week I'm going to brew the honey amber kit for my gf and get that started.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 06:24:02 AM »
It's usually best to wait 3 weeks, then chill and test a bottle. That will tell you if it needs more time to carb. Try another in two weeks if it's not where u want.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 07:20:58 AM »
Since I don't smoke cigars, I want to hand out celebration beers when the baby's born.  Any ideas for a seasonal brew for late Feb/early March?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »
Since I don't smoke cigars, I want to hand out celebration beers when the baby's born.  Any ideas for a seasonal brew for late Feb/early March?

Funny you should post this, I just started a batch of this last week to bottle age for the exact same reason. I usually brew all grain, but I went with a suggestion from a few people and ordered this kit:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/patersbier-extract-kit.html

It all depends on the type of beer you like to drink also?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 08:11:28 AM »
I think I'm looking for a darker winter beer, although that one looks pretty decent.  Also so few people actually like dark beers that I may end up going with something like that

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
Yea thats why I went with this one. Most people I know associate dark with bitter and won't even try it. If you want a darker beer than I have the PERFECT suggestion. I ended up brewing something like 240 bottle of this in 2011:

In this case, your time frame is the issue. You could brew it with a drinking date, but no real fun in that. But just in case or for personal enjoyment:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winter-ale.html

I would really suggest sticking with a lighter beer, or maybe even an IPA. An IPA great for everything is this one:

http://www.apexbrewwares.com/Recipe-Kits/Amarillo-by-Morning-IPA.html

^^ one of my fav IPA's

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 08:57:19 AM »
I don't know more than a handful of other people who like IPAs.  It's my favorite type of beer but most people can't stand the bitterness.  I'll probably do something like a wit that can make people think spring is on the way or something like that.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
Not a bad idea. Tons of recipe's:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »
Ended up with a Blue Moon clone that the guy at the LHBS set me up with.  I'll probably brew within the next week.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »
Let me know how you like it. I can't stand Blue Moon, but people seem to like the clones.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
Hey Govt,

Got an idea I thought u might enjoy also. Going to brew a Barleywine also and set aside to age. Will drink one every year on her birthday and see how it ages with her.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
I think it's kind of a neat idea but I bet it's in its terrible twos at the same time as your daughter