Author Topic: Hard Cider  (Read 5001 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Hard Cider
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »
I have been making hard cider for years and this one is not only new, but the best thing I have ever created. I was brewing up my Apple Pie (theres another thread for it) and this idea came on like a light bulb. This stuff is strong, but it doesn't taste that way. It is sweet and full of apple flavor but don't let it fool you. Everclear is some strong stuff but when it's used in this recipe it is not like drinking it from the bottle. You won't taste it and it won't instantly get you drunk. A few cups though and you will feel really good. It's easy to prepare and if anyone gives it a try please let me know I am dying to hear what you think. I have had about 8 people try it (two don't like cider) and it's been a big hit.

Ingredients:

1 Gallon Apple Cider (farm fresh is fine since it will be boiled)
1/2 Gallon of Apple Juice
8 cinnamon sticks
1tsp of Nutmeg (whatever spoon it is, the regular one not the big one)
1cup dark brown sugar (dark is key here for taste)
750ml bottle of Everclear
6-8 large mason jars or you can use the juice containers you started with.

Note: Every step requires a lid on the pot. You will loose a lot of flavor by not covering the pot.

In a large pot pour in the full gallon of cider and the full 1/2 gallon of juice. Bring to a boil.

Once the juices are at a full boil, drop in all 8 cinnamon sticks, the nutmeg, and the brown sugar.

Continue to boil for 30 minutes, then lower to a simmer.

Allow to simmer for a full two hours, stirring it every once in a while to keep the sticks from sticking to the bottom.

----Do not skip this step----

Remove from heat and leave it sit covered for at least four hours. I left it for a full 12 hours when I went to bed. You need at least four, this is concentrating the flavors

-------------------------------------

Ok so now the hours have passed, lets continue. Move the pot back on the stove, and bring it back to a simmer. Give it a good stir and leave it simmer another two hours, same thing as before stir it once in a while.

Ok we are almost done, remove from heat, take the lid off and let it cool down. Takes about an hour usually to reach room temp. Once it does, dump in the entire bottle of everclear and stir it for a good couple of minutes.

Let it sit a few hours until it is good and cool, then stir it up again and put it into the containers.

All done! throw it in the fridge. I suggest you don't drink it for 24 hours, in the beginning the everclear taste is noticeable but after a day in the fridge you won't even smell it let alone really taste it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Hard Cider
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Screw that noise.  It'll be just fine if you just leave it be in a nice wooden barrel.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
Probably, but it will actually sour over a few weeks in a cabinet in a mason jar and I don't know many people with a wooden barrel so the fridge is the ticket ;)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
Remove from heat and leave it sit covered for at least four hours. I left it for a full 12 hours when I went to bed. You need at least four, this is concentrating the flavors
Sounds like BS to me.

I thought making real cider involved fermentation?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
It does.  You make it when the weather turns cold and stays that way.  Let apple cider take care of itself.  I remember it as a kid.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »
Sounds like BS to me.

I thought making real cider involved fermentation?

There is two types of hard cider, fermented (which most people here wouldn't do) and the kind that is made on the stove by adding alcohol. If you want a fermented cider I have tons of recipes for that as well.

There is no BS in the method above, it would be BS if I claimed to be doing any fermentation. Fermented cider is actually less common because most people don't want to (or have the patience) to ferment. I don't typically ferment cider because you can make really good cider on the stove without the wait. The problem with the wait is that cider tends to go fast so this way prevents waiting for fermentation just to go through a few gallons at a party.

I would do from wall to spring me and my family probably go through 150-200 gallons of cider and since I make pretty much all of it this way is great.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
Explain to me what "concentrating the flavors" means

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »
Explain to me what "concentrating the flavors" means

As it cools the cider will begin to thicken a little bit and any undissolved sugar will sink to the bottom. When you heat it back up again it will take in most of the additional sugar. If you sample the mixture as you go along you will notice a considerable difference from the first boil/cool down to the second. You could stop at the first but the flavors are much stronger after the second it really makes a positive difference.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »
Stuff is incredible, shame none of you are near me.