Author Topic: calling our steak guru's  (Read 9619 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: calling our steak guru's
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »
A cast iron skillet should cost you less than the steaks.  I think mine was like $15 and it'll last forever as long as it's taken care of.

The timing on his recipe usually leaves my steaks a little rare for my liking, so I usually leave them in the oven for another 30-45 seconds.  Also, unplug any smoke detectors before you start.  Even if you use something like canola oil you get a lot of smoke.  If you use olive oil I guess you get a ton of it (my brother in law did that, I haven't).  Also, baked potatoes are boring.  Do this instead.  The nice thing is that they both require  the oven to be 500 degrees.

Micah, any other recipes by him you can recommend?  That's the only one I've ever tried.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »
Oh sweet ill just buy a new one then. And I think they are boring also but I can't see your suggestion (stupid wap!). She's a pretty simple girl but I'm down to check out anything
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »
It's roasted asparagus with bacon and goat cheese.  Obviously you'd want to cut it down for two, but:
2 pounds  asparagus stalks, washed and trimmed
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 (3 1/2- to 4-ounce) log soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (zest)

Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Crumble bacon; set aside.

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 500 degrees F. Arrange asparagus on large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and turn asparagus to coat well. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast asparagus until crisp-tender when pierced with knife, about 7 minutes.

Remove from heat and arrange asparagus in single layer on platter. Sprinkle with goat cheese, then bacon. Drizzle with lemon juice and remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle grated lemon peel over. (Can be prepared 1 hour ahead. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature.)

Makes 6 servings.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 10:11:57 AM »
She won't eat any vegtable except corn on the cob and that and baked potato is her fav. And she can't have cheese..

I think the corn on the cob I am just going to microwave in the husk that always comes out so kickass
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 10:12:55 AM »
My wife hates vegetables too, but she likes that

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 10:17:32 AM »
Hmm..maybe ill do that instead. Ill give it a feeler without letting her know what I'm up too. If she seems open to try something I'm probably ok if not I know she's pretty set in her hate of other plants lol. It does sound damn good

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 10:19:01 AM »
Is goat cheese safe though? I don't know the difference but she's allergic to milk. Bad allergic. So no cheeses dairy etc

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »
Yeah I don't know about that part of it.   I'd talk to her about it

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »
Yea ill mention it. Any killer baked potato recipes u know of? Lol. Her dairy allergy limits me some. Really nobody has ever so much as coked her a hotpocket (guy wise) so anything I do is amazing to her so baked potato and corn on the cob seems to basic to us but to her its perfect lol

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 05:20:41 PM »
The Alton Brown thing is exactly what I suggested (and I'm sure is where my wife got the idea). :thumbsup:

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
Yea I think you guys are right on. I found a baked potato recipe by alton too its a slow bake (around an hour) that sounds perfect!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 06:02:41 PM »
The Alton Brown thing is exactly what I suggested (and I'm sure is where my wife got the idea). :thumbsup:

Yep, but I figured the exact stuff would be helpful :)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 06:07:20 PM »
Yep. Absolutely. I was hoping somebody would fix him up good. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Oh, and it works. Tastes pretty darn good. :dblthumb2:

Oh, and he wasn't kidding about the smoke alarm. Holy crap!

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 06:08:36 PM »
Yea to be honest I was going to originally just pm cheez but figured I would let everyone chime in.

U guys rock

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »
How did I end up resident gourmet?