Author Topic: Caffeine addiction breaking - Post week 1  (Read 3683 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Caffeine addiction breaking - Post week 1
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »
I decided I wanted to break my caffeine habit and more importantly the delivery system (copious amounts of mountain dew).  It started last Sunday but the headache at the end of the day on Monday was so bad that I gave in and had an XL dew.  The rest of the week I've been good though.  Limiting myself to a 20oz dew or cup of coffee a day.  Headaches of been annoying but the hardest part has been hydration.  I was drinking so much soda that I was actually hydrating myself with it.  Now I'm having to remember to actually drink water.

This week I'm gonna bring it down to a can of dew and hoping that next week I can get rid of it entirely.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Caffeine addiction breaking - Post week 1
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »
Good luck... took me 2-3 weeks to wean myself off the Dew when I graduated from college.  The headaches were fucking awful.. so I did what you're doing.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:34:55 PM »
Don't wean yourself off of it with dew, do it with coffee - it's cheaper, better for you, and tastier :)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
it's cheaper
Not the stuff I got.  I got some good stuff.  Still getting used to the coffee taste though.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »
I get good coffee too, but it's still a shitload cheaper than buying a bottle of pop every day.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
I get good coffee too, but it's still a shitload cheaper than buying a bottle of pop every day.
Actually, I just redid the math in my head and I think you are right.  Just need to get use to the taste really.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 12:18:01 PM »
Well week two went ok.  On Sunday I had my last soda for at least week (I hope).  It has been about 40 hours since the last hit and I'm doing well.  Very minor headache and minor shakiness.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 01:43:30 PM »
Um, the coffee I drink has way more caffeine then Dew so if you're trying to cut out caffeine then you'll need to drop the coffee too. I did it a few years back and after about a week and a half of terrible headaches, I felt quite a bit better.

I'm thinking of trying to cut back on caffeine again too, but I really like my coffee and tea. I think I might start with tea to step down and then try and get to only weekend morning coffee instead of the multiple cups a day at work amount.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:34 PM »
You could switch to decaf, that's what my brother in law did and it's worked well for him

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »
i have this page bookmarked:  http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database/

your own google search might find a better resource, but thats a fairly inclusive list of caffeinated beverages.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

-KEN-

• Some Other Mofo
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:31:14 AM »
I've been trying to figure out if life was better -- or at least similar -- before I started drinking coffee every morning. It seems impossible, but I used to do without coffee. Office changed that.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:29 PM »
I barely drink any soda anymore.  I have been on a lemonade kick as of late which is weird because I used to not like it.

I'm looking forward to a three day live-aboard diving trip next week.  Last year I did a two day and had some nasty headaches due to caffeine withdrawal (they had soda but not mt dew).  Should be good this year.

One thing I'm still struggling with is getting enough water.  I have a water bottle that I keep with me but remembering to drink from it is still a problem.